COLD nature 96 1100 venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COLD nature 96 1100 venture

Is it normal for a Yamaha 1100 to take a long time to start if it has been setting for awhile? I hold the choke, starter and my breath for about 1 to 2 minutes before she hits. Is it normal and what is the solution?
    Dwin Ollison

Stock Yamaha 1100 and 1200 enignes can be a bear to start cold. This is mainly due to high pop-off pressure and large choke openings.

The very best solution is to install a primer kit. You will enjoy 3 second starting. Another solution is aftermarket flame arrestors, and a drop in pop-off pressure, although it's much cheaper and easier to install a primer to simply aid in starting.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

one option: close choke, hold in throttle 1/4, crank in 10 second bursts until it fires and dies. Then open the choke plates, continue to hold throttle 1/4 and crank in 10 sec bursts until starts/runs. This will get you started in 30-45 seconds. It will also wear out the starter, wear out the carb check valves, and ruin the engine by 150 hours.

better option: spray wd-40 in the air cleaner holes while cranking. Hit and miss.

best option: Tech guy suggestion. I put primers in both my 1200 and 1100. 3 second starts. Get 500 hrs on engine and starter.
      97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
      dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

WD-40 (or more specifically it's propellant) has not been flammable for a number of years.

Starter fluid of any kind is not the recommended way to go, as too much too often can strip the oil off parts at the start.

Pre-mix fuel down the spark plug holes is the best way to manually prime the engine.

Comment

Wheres the best place to go to get a primer kit?
          Dwin Ollison

Comment

www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Agree that primer is best.

[as an informational note: i'm looking at my new can of WD-40 and the propellant is CO2..definately not flammable. Yet the can states clearly Danger:Flammable, and the msds does as well

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds...aerosol.us.pdf

maybe they changed ingredients but not the can printing? just don't want mis-informed to start smoking while spraying their wd-40.

I don't need to be right, just don't want anyone careless around this stuff.]
              97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
              dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

It's surely igniteable, but works extremely poorly as a starting agent.

Comment

WD-40 has worked pretty well for me. It doesn't hurt anything does it?

I usually only have to use it at the start of the year or when the ski has sat for several weeks. Anything less and she fires up with the choke after only a few tries.

Comment

Working...
                  X