X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with fixing big hole

When I removed the gas tank, there was a nice surprise waiting for me:

Bottom ski pic:

I have never tried to patch a hole in a ski before. I saw some fiberglass repair kits at autozone. Would one of those work?

Re: Need help with fixing big hole

Nope, it is SMC and needs epoxy kits. I would take it to a pro - don't learn on the bottom of your hull.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Dam Kelly.I could have sworn I replied to that when you PM'd it to me.But I cant seem to find my reply anywhere.Sorry if it didnt get through to you.

If you want,we can do the work for you here.My buddy put our gp12 on top an oyster bed and it kinda looked just like that.Leave the motor out of it,it will need to be flipped over.You can tell from the second picture that someone has tried to fix it before.

Let me know if you got the pm reply from this....I will explain the process again if you didnt.
      Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Frank,
        My PM box was full. Message sent.

Comment

When did this turn into a I'll fix your ski for you post?

I'd keep an eye out for a hull on Fleabay. You have a couple of months to look, and really if you dont find one, then you have a couple months to fix it.

Good luck.
          Leon Phelps and Ashy Larry, a team made in heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by leon phelps
            When did this turn into a I'll fix your ski for you post?

I'd keep an eye out for a hull on Fleabay. You have a couple of months to look, and really if you dont find one, then you have a couple months to fix it.

Good luck.
            Leon...If you are trying to give me a hard time...chill it and take it somewhere else.

He happens to be a friend of mine and we have been talking about this and other matters via private messaging and phone.

If you have a problem with me,I would suggest that you send me a PM stating your problem,and I will reply.There is no need to be distrupting other threads that people are trying to get help with problems.
            Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

dang..
              i had a 98 gp 760 do this same thing to me.. its almost like it delamed right there by the gas tank. real big on too
              i let it dry real good for a day or two and then i took my 4in grinder to it with the wire wheel and roughed it up real good. Then i applied a layer of resin then cloth then resin then cloth ect.
              i built it up and let it dry and did it again.
              This worked great for me and i ride it still really hard in the surf. No leaks since.. And regular fiberglass is probably not what a pro would use but it still gets the job done great if u prep the surface .. Its the same principal as painting.. I can take a can of walmart spraypaint and make it last forever on a perfectly prepped surface. Its all in the base!!
              good luck and remember to use the heavy duty mat type cloth for a stronger hold and do it in layers..
              total cost 10$ quart of resin
              7 $ cloth
              5 $ sandpaper
              1-2 hrs of your time..
              and by the way flipping it over is not totally necessary but would make it alot easier..
              i have an a frame in my shop that i use to pull big block engines from trucks and used it with the seadoo sling that you can buy on ebay and just got it way high in the air...
              if you double the amount of hardener the glass dries within a minute or so of mixing.

Comment

A repair like that is not that hard and won't cost a lot in materials to DIY.
                Even if you have to do it again or take it to a fiberglass shop later it would be worth a try to do it yourself.

Don't put too much hardener or it will not be as strong as it should.

I would:

1. Grind out all soft areas and rough up the souronding area.
                2. Clean it with denatured alcohol to get all wax and oils off.
                3. Blow it dry until it is clean and dry.
                4. Apply 2 layers of fiberglass mat from the inside with epoxy resin.
                5. Let dry overnight.
                6. Turn ski over and grind the top surface of the new glass and surounding
                area a little to rough it up.
                7. Apply multiple layers cut to size to fit inside the depression until it is built
                out beyond the original hull lines.
                8. Let dry overnight.
                9. Use a belt sander or palm sander to bring the body back into shape.
                10. Spray paint the bottom of the ski to match.

BTW the damage looks like it is from running into a drive on lift to fast or beaching the ski a lot.
                Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

A friend of mine smashed into another friend of mines 1998 XL200 and I was stuck fixing it:) .

Anyway it was a pretty hard side hit that cracked into the bottom of the hull. I pretty much did what everybody on this post is telling you to do except on my final coat of resin after the mat filled the holes and it mas pretty close to the shape I cut the mat with a razor blade ito really fine strips and mixed it into the resin and then applied it. I painted it with basecoat/clearcoat and road the hell out of it the summer jumping some pretty big waves:emoticont .

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                  X