This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil

Has anyone on this board used Citgo Supergard Sea and Snow 2-cycle engine oil in their PWC? It's supposedly a low smoke oil. I believe that Citgo also makes Yamalube 2-W and wondered how the two oils compare with each other.

I have heard good things about Yamalube, but have never tried it because it has always been more convenient to buy Pennzoil. However, the Citgo Sea and Snow is now available at Academy and sells for about $9 per gallon.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
    "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Re: Oil

I just spoke with a tech. support engineer at Citgo. He said the two formulas are not identical, but very close. Attached are the MSDS's. I'm going to try the Sea and Snow in my Venture 700 and see how it does. Will report back in a couple of months.
    Attached Files
    "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

I too used penzoil in my 700 and must have saved a nice chunk of change. I think it's great for non power valve Yamaha engines.

Comment

Hey Uncle Buck,

Thanks for the info on yamalube being manufactured by Citgo, I knew Yamaha didn't have their own refinery!:D

I was doing some research on the Sea and Snow oil and they do not recommend it in a TCW-3 application, yet they say its for personal watercraft.

Check this out and let me know what you think
        http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/465177.pdf

Comment

Nice job of researching this issue, 02xl700. I noticed that the bottle of Sea and Snow didn't mention TCW-3, but I sure didn't find what you found.

I guess it really doesn't matter what the Citgo tech support engineeer said on the phone. The product information sheet clearly says it's not recommended for engines "requiring an NMMA TC-W3, TC-WII, or TC-W product."

Comment

Amazingly, If you read the specs the oil is supposed to meet, you folks found a perfect aftermarket oil for use in Sea-Doo watercraft!!!!
            John Kubiak
            Powersports Technical Training Professional
            Las Vegas, Nevada
            Sea-Doo Tech 13736
            PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
            PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
            NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
            Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

I've been thinking about this, so I recently sent an email to Citgo regarding the use of Supergard Sea and Snow in Yamaha WaveRunners. Here is the text of the company's reply:

"CITGO Supergard Sea & Snow uses an air-cooled additive system which has a low ash content designed for air-cooled and liquid-cooled engines. TC-W3 products are ashless and typically designed for water-cooled engines such as outboard engines. With that said, Sea and Snow will work fine in a Yamaha WaveRunner which is a liquid cooled engine. The warning about TC-W3 is directed primarily to outboard engines and not personal watercraft. CITGO Supergard Sea & Snow formula will provide the low smoke performance you are looking for. Please make sure your oil reservoir is nearly empty before switching to insure the best performance.

If you have more questions, please contact our product answer line at 800-248-4684."

Comment

Hey good job Uncle Buck!!

I was just curious as to why they would not recomend it for outboards. Last I checked my 50 hp yamaha was watercooled!!

Comment

I didn't understand that, either. Maybe one of the oil experts on this forum will chime in.

Comment

I found the CITGO Supergard Sea & Snow product locally and this cost is much better than the Yamalube 2w that I use now. Has anyone tried the CITGO Supergard Sea & Snow product yet in their Waverunner?

Comment

The SBT Forums are for SBT Product Support ONLY. For all general PWC support/discussion, please post on www.pwctoday.com.

Thank you - SBT Mgt.
                      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X