A better way to do a leakdown test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better way to do a leakdown test?

I want to test my 62T engine for air leaks and understand what needs to be done. Is there an easy way to seal off the exhaust ports?

An article written by Group K suggests making some rubber gaskets and installing them over the exhaust ports, but that sure seems like a lot of extra work. Are there some rubber blocks out there that would save the time and energy of bolting on the exhaust manifold and taking it off again?

Thanks.
    "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

I'm not aware of where to purcahse pre-made kits. Everyone I know akes thier own.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

OK, thanks.
      "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

I just made some for al yama's 1200 to 650. I used an old cutting board, the white plastic type. Used old gaskets as templates, used a cutting drill bit and dremel tool. I than got some rubber material wet suit type and sprayed adhesive and glue them together. Punch the holes by heating a the back side of the bit and punching thru the rubber. I had a pressure test gauge for mercuries out drives and it works great. I can pump up the case with ease! Best thang since sex! All it cost me was two cans of spray adhesive, headliner type! [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]

[ June 23, 2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: torquenut ]

Comment

Let me make sure I understand. So, instead of having to bolt the carbs and exhaust mainfold back on the engine to conduct the test, you just bolt on the cutting board pieces with the rubber on 'em?

I assembled a tester with parts from Grainger: a 0-15 psi. pressure gauge, a hose barb, a galvanized steel T-fitting, an air stem fitting, some 1/4" fuel line, and a bicycle pump. Cost $25 for everything.

[ June 23, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: uncle-buck ]

Comment

The old cutting board pieces worked like a charm. I also used pieces of rubber inner tube for the gaskets.

Thanks, torquenut.

[ June 24, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: uncle-buck ]

Comment

No problem dude, we share our secrets and we all save $ [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X