GP800 carb question 46I/44I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP800 carb question 46I/44I

What is the difference between the SBN 46I and 44I carbs. I ordered the carb kits for a 1998 GP800 and they sent me the 46I kits. When I opened the package, I noticed it said "not for use on yamaha watercraft".

Re: GP800 carb question 46I/44I

All of the parts that came for the 46I look identical compared to the parts out of the 44I. Are the pump or check valve plastics stiffer? or is it just a difference in spring tension. I dont have a problem sending the kits back and getting 44I kits, but I cant visually see any difference between the two.

Comment

Who's kits and what part number?
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The kits are Mikuni genuine components kits part# MK-BN46I

Comment

That is for Sea-Doo, you need Yamaha specific carb kits: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=35

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found out that the kits are identical aside from different springs.

Comment

No they aren't. The critical difference is in the main body o-ring - the Yamaha is a lot thicker and the standard does not seal. It is a Yamaha specific part/kit.

Comment

Before you take me the wrong way, please understand that I do not condone(sp) installing wrong parts, nor do I try and take short cuts in my work.
                The measuremenst of the large main body O-rings are identical @ .0775", and all other gaskets are also identical. I was going to order the yamaha kits through SBT but they did not offer needle kits, so I ordered everything through a different company (which obviously was the wrong choice). They sent me the 46I kits and I didnt notice it untill I opened one up. Thats the only reason I wanted to know what exactly the difference was, being that everything was visually the same aside from the spring.
                Im not going to go into the whole story, but I found a connection that informed me that they were the same aside from springs. Im not going to put 100% faith in that statement, but after gauging the O-rings, and seals, check valves etc..it all comes out exact.
                Again, I know this sort of thing can get someone bashed or ripped on for not ordering the correct part in the first place, but I also know from experience with carburetors, that manufacturers will use the same parts as much as they possibly can to offset cost.
                Please remember that Im not questioning your knowledge, or trying to say you are wrong, just stating what I am finding.
                Last edited by lunchbox; 06-09-2006, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Good luck - don't say I didn't warn you ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X