stripped thread, should i be concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped thread, should i be concerned

I have a 1999 Yamaha XL1200 Limited, with a newly installed sbt motor.

There are a total of 10 bolts that hold the intake manifold onto the engine block. Each carb has 2 long bolts that go through the carb, through the carb plate, and into the block, 6 total bolts. And there are 2 short hex head bolts, with a clear plastic shroud around the bolt head, between each carb, 4 total bolts. These hex head bolts go through just the carb plate and into the block.

When installing my intake manifold for the second time, one of the 4 hex head bolts stripped in the block. The torque specs for this bolt are only 8.7 ft lbs, so I cant imagine its really doing much, and the engine seems to run perfect. The carb plate seems thick enough that the 10 carb bolts torqued to 16 ft lbs should hold it tightly against the block.

Should I be concerned? Should I return this engine and get another? I just got done with breaking in this engine, and I dont want to do it again. Plus the time I spent installing the new engine.

Re: stripped thread, should i be concerned

While it is probably fine to leave it, you can easily install a helicoil to repair the threads.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I thought doing repairs to the engine voided the warrenty?

Comment

I just authorized you to :) We permit certain repairs as long as you ask first.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X