Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 WR650 LX series of unfortunate events..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 WR650 LX series of unfortunate events..

My daughters ski is stock except for rideplate and intake grate (Pro-Tec). It ran great last year when we parked it--winterized appropriately (gas stabilizer, cyl.'s fogged, etc) When we pulled it out this summer it started a little hard but then ran good for an hour. Then it quit starting or started VERY hard. Still ran OK at WOT though. Pulled plugs and front cylinder had H2O droplets on it. swapped plugs and same scene-still wet on front cyl plug. Figured blown head gasket--took it out of water, bad compression was verified on front cyl and noticed water leaking around head slightly. So we changed head-gasket and milled @ 3-4 thousandths off head to make sure of no warping. Put it in water today, turned fuel on, squeezed primer bulb under hood 2-3X (as usual for it in past when having sat a long time) and it would not turn over. I pulled spark plugs and rear cylinder was full of gas. Realized it was hydro-locked (petro-locked...?) left plugs out blew gas out by turning it over for a few seconds. after sitting a few mins the other cylinder was filling with gas. Turned fuel OFF. Blew both out and assumed I over-primed it by squeezing bulb when it did'nt need it (also noticed primer bulb stayed squeezed or collapsed after a few squeezes-unusually so). It did not fill the cyl's with gas any more after that. In fact it would not get gas to cyls after that for a few minutes of trying to start it, so I removed plugs again and turned it over a few times and finally it started spraying gas mist out of plug holes. Still would not start AT ALL. Checked gap on new NGK B8HS sparkplugs--foound them way too small (had forgot to check gap--stupid). Regapped correctly and gave it a slight throttle, started GREAT. Ran REAL rich for a minute or two then cleaned out nicely. Took it down the lake and it came off idle OK but a little slow at first and seemed a little down on RPM's. Whenever I would hit a HARD wake/bump/jolt it would bog, and it had a hard time coming off idle (had to feather or pump the throttle) then it would come up OK but still seemed a little down. Idles OK (for a WR650) but continues to bog on hard bumps and bog off idle. I did a full-throttle run/shutdown for plug read and found rear plug an gray/cocoa light brown and the front plug slightly grayer. After lots of post-reading on SBT I have the following suggestions for myself--and am looking for some nods of assent before I waste a lot of time, $$$, or both. #1) Change/clean fuel line filter and carb fuel filters (?) (never has been done since I got it,) #2) Check fuel vent lines and check valve, #3) Remove and rebuild carb-last resort. I fool with motorcycles a lot and tractors so I figure I can rebuild this carb if need be. I thought the bogging on hard bumps and waves might tip someone off--maybe lack of fuel throughout RPM range. So I am hoping best case that the fuel filters are dirty or plugged. I see the one mounted inside the hull but I have also read mention of internal carb filters--Any help is appreciated. Thanks--DOUG

Re: 1990 WR650 LX series of unfortunate events..

The SBT Forums are for SBT Product Support ONLY. For all general PWC support/discussion, please post on www.pwctoday.com.

Thank you - SBT Mgt.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X