98 gp 1200 with a blown cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 gp 1200 with a blown cylinder

well let me start off by saying that i just bought a 98 yama gp 1200 that had approx 87 hours on it. After puttin three hours on it I managed to blow the first cylinder. Both others have good compression. I was told that I could replace the one cylinder. I AM NEW to this and have no idea what to do. the Yamaha dealer in my area wants 2 grand to do it. I would imagine I could do it cheaper. Any ideas comments or directions for parts or anything of that nature would be a huge help!

Re: 98 gp 1200 with a blown cylinder

First, you need to pull the engine out and tear it completely down for inspection. Yes you may be able to do a top-end job, but you first need to verify that your crank is in perfect shape and reuseable - otherwise you'll just blow your repair job later.

Your cylinders are all in one casting, and it depends on how much damage you have, what your best options are. If it's real light damage, the cylinder can be honed, and the same size (standard) piston put back in. If there is significant enough damage that it needs to be bored slightly, we highly recommend doing all three to keep the pistons the same size - otherwise you risk twisting your crank due to uneven balance.

Another option would be to put a new sleeve in the one damaged cylinder and bore it back to standard size.

Another option is our cylinder exchange kit, which gives you a complete new top-end ready to bolt on. This would only be a good option for you if you actually have damage in more than one cylinder.

When you get it apart, take it to a local machine shop for inspection, and you'll have a better idea of what you need.
    Last edited by Technical Support; 07-11-2006, 08:34 AM.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X