GP800 Sluggish then cuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP800 Sluggish then cuts off

Just installed a new engine and block off kit. Using break-in oil 32:1. Had to add some premix to the carbs but it cranked and made it through the 10 minutes of idling. However it did cut off about 3 times. The ski became very sluggish when I began the 20% throttle. I could give it full throttle but it never went over 3000 RPMs. It eventually cut off and wouldn't crank back up. We towed it to dock, changed the plugs, charged the battery and added some premix to the carbs. It did crank but we had to use the throttle and choke to keep it running. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: GP800 Sluggish then cuts off

How exactly did you pre-mix the fuel? Have you rebuilt the carbs? What caused the original engine to fail and what other repairs were done?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I mixed the quart of break-in oil and 20 oz of Yamalube in 2 gallons of gas. I added that to the existing gas in the ski and then topped of the ski with gas. It's a 13.2 gallon tank and the ratio is 32:1.

Our best guess is that the original motor locked up due to a stopped up oil line.

We did not rebuild the carb because it was working fine before.

No other repairs, just a new engine and block-off kit.

I was just able to crank it when I added premix to the carbs. I was able to keep it running for about 20 seconds with the choke completely pulled and tapping the throttle.

Comment

I suggest rebuilding the carbs.

Comment

SBT Tech Support, I installed the motor for C Cube. I'm an automotive technician, but the only experience I have working on PWC is this motor swap.

This ski partially sank, although I don't know exactly how high the water got. It was in saltwater and the carbs look like they've never been touched, so rebuilding can only help. But I have a question pertaining to the block-off kit.

There were 3 rubber plugs included. We ended up using only 2 of them on the carb nipples where the oil supply lines come in. Do we also need to plug up and remove the 3 other bypass lines, or leave them alone? The instructions were specific in detail to SeaDoos but not to this WaveRunner.

The other thing that has me boggled is the fact that we had to keep playing with the throttle and choke at the same time just to maintain idle depite the fact the motor was at operating temp...as if it were sucking unmetered air past the carbs.

In addition to rebuilding the carbs, any other suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comment

All you need to plug are the two injection points. Rebuild the carbs and go form there.

Comment

Overlooking the fact that there is a "supply" and a "return" line for fuel, I simply assumed both were supply lines when I plugged them back in and did not pay attention to removal or reassembly... In a nutshell, I had them crossed.

Carbs have not been rebuilt and doing fine as can be!

Regardless, thanks for the input.

Comment

Your description was misleading. 'had to use the choke to keep it running' is impossible with the lines crossed. It would only run for a few seconds, before you used up what was in the return line. If you had said it would only run for a few seconds everytime, that's the first thing I would have suggested. Thanks for posting the result though, that's always appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                  Your description was misleading. 'had to use the choke to keep it running' is impossible with the lines crossed. It would only run for a few seconds, before you used up what was in the return line. If you had said it would only run for a few seconds everytime, that's the first thing I would have suggested. Thanks for posting the result though, that's always appreciated!
                  Well believe it or not, the motor went through the first 10 minutes of the idle break-in, cutting off only 3 times, and then went through about 4 minutes of the 20% throttle before finally quitting, which is when we pulled it back in with the boat. Had the scenario been as you suggested, I may have been clued in earlier that the lines were crossed...it just didn't make any sense. To boot, the #1 plug came out wet everytime I pulled it to check.

Btw, I'm more then glad to post what the problem was. Hopefully, someone reading this post and ready to tackle a motor swap will not go through the same problems we did.

Two thumbs up to SBT for your prompt service and willingness to help us out after the sale!!! :emoticont

Now that C Cube has one, I'm on the lookout for one as well. I'm kinda partial to the Seadoos... Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                  X