SUV 1200 Engine Siezure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUV 1200 Engine Siezure

My dealer just confirmed I have seized my engine due to a lean running condition. My ski is a 2000 SUV 1200 with around 100 hours on it. From what I have read on this forum, the lean condition could have been caused by faulty carbs or possibly a closed vent cap to the oil tank. Can you verify that these causes are possibly the reason for the engine seizure? What will be required to fix my engine and can a DIY kind of guy do the repairs competantly? New pistons, cylinder sleeves and rebuilt carbs?

Thanks in advance!:emotisun

George Bailey

Re: SUV 1200 Engine Siezure

Another question as I get ready to replace my motor, how do I determine whether I have a 1200 PV type engine or a 1200 non-pv engine?

Thanks,

George :emotisun

Comment

SUVs use the non-pv 1200.

Lean damage is caused by not enough fuel or too much air. Either clogged carbs or the rest of the fuel system, an air leak, etc. Usually it means you need three rebuild kits and need to go through the carbs, they are probably dirty.

What you need can not be determined until the engine is pulled out and completely torn down for inspection. If the crank is perfect you can do a top-end job, otherwise you need a complete rebuild or new engine.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I am still trying to find out whether my ski has a 1200 pv engine or a 1200 non-pv engine. Can anyone shed some light on this?

As always, thanks in advance! :emotisun

George in Virginia Beach, VA

Comment

As I said:
          Originally posted by Technical Support
          SUVs use the non-pv 1200.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Sorry, I was so interested in finding the cause of my engine siezure, I totally missed the first line of your response.

Thanks again! :emotisun

George

Comment

Working...
            X