Yamaha Service Manual Sux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Service Manual Sux

Just got a Yamaha service manual for my XL 1200. What a disappointment. Just a bunch of diagrams. No helpful discussion or guidance. Trouble analyses chart just plain sucks. No decent index either. Just a bunch of charts. Waste of $70.

Can anyone recommend a better manual than the POS Yamaha Service Manual?

I think you have the wrong impression of what the Service Manual is intended for - it's not to teach someone how to be a mechanc, it's a reffernce manual for those that know what they are doing. Some of the aftermarket manuals such as Clymer's and Seloc offer a more laymans manual, but are often incorrect or lacking in the actual tech specs, so tread carefully trusting them for critical details. For someone starting out, both types are recommended.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Fair enough. Just wish I heard this when I first asked about manuals a couple weeks ago. It would have saved me $70.

If anyone asks about manuals, a more appropriate response would be - OEM Service manual is mostly diagrams and geared to experienced mechanics. There is little to no discussion or "how to" steps. Clymer and others are more appropriate for beginners and weekend wrenchers.

However, I do think the OEM manual really suxs from one primary perspective. One would think that an OEM manual would have detailed and well cross referenced trouble analyses charts. The 2 pager in the OEM manual could have been prepared by a 1st grader. Very disappointing.

Comment

Sorry to give you some bad info,I found the manual very helpfull.It is very technical in the way it gives you the information.I guess im just use to that kind of information in my feild of work.Dont tell me how to do it, just give me the specs on where its suppose to be.And what tools to use.Can you send the manual back?If you get stuck email Ill help.

Comment

Hey Kerr!

The best manual you can ever have is the message boards if you're unfamiliar with your machine. You'll get more help here than any book can give. As TS said the manuals are very tech orientated and you have to know what you're looking at. BTW.... on the XL series, make sure to seal your pump. The cavatation will eat your props. Other than that...... happy riding!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Texas Team Yamaha<br />#519 Novice <br />Region 5<br /><br /><a href="http://texasteamyamaha.com" target="_blank">Texas Team Yamaha</a>

Comment

Seal my pump? Which pump? You talking about the oil pump? I thought it was best to block it off and go pre-mix?

Had I done that two years ago, I wouldn't be dealing with a rebuild now. ??

Comment

She means the jet pump cavity. www.rivayamaha.com has a kit to do it.

Comment

Key Issue - Is this covered in the SBT engine install instructions? If not, wonder why it's important to do it? Would think that if it was important to do it then SBT would address it and have a kit for it too. ???

And, don't see it covered in the OEM service manual anywhere - had to throw that comment in to keep on topic for this thread - The Yamaha OEM Service Manual Sux Topic.

I looked on the Riva site, couldn't find the kit to do this.

Suzan GPR - could you point me to something that can educate me on this issue of "sealing the pump". I do income tax returns for a living. I did manage to pull the engine and have it ready to ship back to SBT. Am waiting on the rebuilt and might be brave enough to try to install it. Have read as much as possible on the upcoming task at hand. But have not seen anything anywhere on "sealing the pump".

Thanks to all.

Comment

It has nothing to do with the engine or it's installation/removal - no, of course it's not covered in our guide.

It's an aftermarket part introduced to improve performance - no, of course it's not covered in a OEM service manual.

Riva'a instructions for the kit is here, Off the main page select Watercraft, Performance Product Instructions - not hard.

You really need to calm down, the Yamaha Service Manuals are some of the best in the market. You are complaining about something that is NOT designed for your assumed purpose. Do you see me complaining because the 1040EZ Form didn't tell me how best to itemize?? Do you get it yet?

[ August 18, 2003, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]

Comment

Thanks for the specific link. That helps. Still need to find something that better explains why the kit is needed. But with the info in the link you provided, I can now do a search and educate myself.

I don't care about performance from the standpoint of pushing my speed higher. My ski is for family use, not hot rodding or racing. However, if it's an issue of increasing ski longevity and reliability ... yes, I do care. Given that engine is now out and it would be easier to install this kit now .... is it something I should seriously consider? Are there other performance enhancements that I should do that will improve longevity and reliability?

BTW - The Yamaha manual still stinks. As does 1040EZ and any other form from the IRS. In case you didn't already know, you can itemize your jet ski, wife and dog on the 1040 Schedule A. While you're at it, write off the SBT rebuild too. But the Yamaha OEM manual doesn't qualify. These deductions are the quickest path to free room and board. Uncle Sam's IRS agents appreciate an original thought process.

Comment

Ah. Just read instructions. Does not appear that installation of pump plug kit is impacted by the state of engine installation. It's something I can consider later.

Right now, am just interested in knowing any aftermarket parts, kits I should consider installing given that my engine is out and am waiting to receive and install a rebuild. Not concerned with boosting performance, but am interested if improvements increase longevity and reliability.

My previous post was incorrect. You can't write-off your wife on Schedule A. You have to depreciate her on Form 4562.

Comment

Kerr.....
                        Just trying to be friendly here. If you don't have your pump sealed, you will be spending $200 plus for new props. Yamaha has had issues with this for a few years. They do not come sealed from the factory and the cavitation will burn up the prop. I have seen numerous props burnt up. It is not a performance mod, but something that should be done before the ski hits the water. Best of luck with your ski! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        Texas Team Yamaha<br />#519 Novice <br />Region 5<br /><br /><a href="http://texasteamyamaha.com" target="_blank">Texas Team Yamaha</a>

Comment

Suzan GPR - Hmm, interesting. Appears this mod you suggest falls in the realibility category. Will look into it further. Thanks. Appreciate the info.

You aware of any other mods for longevity and reliability purposes?

Wish there was an info source to determine the most common repair and maintenance issues that plague Jet Skies of various makes and models. Would be extremely useful info in knowing what it watch out for.

Comment

If I were you, while the engine is out get rid of the cat con and replace it with a D plate and T-7. Not only has the cat con been know to blow at about 40-50 hrs, the D plate will keep the engine compartment cooler. If you want to pump up a little more power you can run the C plate but carbs will need to be adjusted for this application. Either way, dump the cat and get a plate. As always, good luck with your ski! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sorry you did not mention the year of your ski, but if it has the cat con get rid of it, nothing but headaches.

[ August 19, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: SuzanGPR ]

Comment

1998 XL 1200

Comment

Working...
                              X