Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Problems or Starter Gear?

Aloha,
    My xl700 won't turn the motor over. The starter is working but isn't turning the engine. I removed the starter from the engine and checked to see if it turned when I hit the switch, which it did. Is the starter not functioning properly even if it is turning, or is it something else? Any help would be appreciated. If I need to go further could you describe briefly what I need to do. I live in Hawaii and good help is hard to come by. In fact, I have to fix my own ski because we don't have a Yamaha dealer or shop to fix them. Luckily for me I found your site and just started to read all that was available on my ski. From your message board I was able to pull the motor, replace a bearing housing and repair my jet drive. Best part of all it actually ran after all that. Thanks for all your information or as we say in Hawaii "mahalo".

sounds like it is your starter bendix, check to make sure this is working properly.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You will need to remove the front cover (where oil pump is) about six bolts and then remove the flywheel to get the bendix out. Use the SBT intructions for installing an engine they have nice graphics and detail instructions good, luck. You can trun the engine over by hand if the plugs are out correct? :(

Comment

Aloha,
        Thank you for your reply on my situation. I was able to find the problem as I was checking into the starter bendix. The nut on the flywheel was loose for some time by the look of the woodruff key, well what was left of it when it cracked. The motor was replaced and I suspect that the nut was not tightened then. With the cracked woodruff key and loose flywheel nut the flywheel moved just out of reach of the bendix and was not able to turn the gears on the flywheel. I found a woodruff key at the local Ace Hardware for $.40 which would have cost me close to $20 with shipping if I bought it through the internet. $3.75 for the key and $17 for shipping. Needless to say I got it back on the water for this past weekend. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
        X