air leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air leak

was changing the starter drive on my 701 and noticed a small amount of oil inside of flywheel cover, is this the sign of a air leak? should i be concerned? motor seems to be running fine.

It does rise some questions. How many hours? last time it was overhual? If your answer is dont know or since new and it has over two seasons. than it's a good time to go ahead get new gaskets and seal set. Tear the engine down. Inspect all bearings with a strong light and 10x magnifing glass. Any pitting or galling, replace the bearings. Dont forget the piston pins as they get corroded. Winter is the best time to do this and freshen up the seal and engine. Get your self a metric tap set from Sears the cheap 18-28 dollar set is all you need. Or put that on your list. You will use the #6,#8,#10.
    Chase all holes with correct tap, trust me!
    Build the beast back up and you will be ready for another season.
    Hey fixing ski's in winter is better than chasing mama around the house, or at least a lot cheaper. Nine months after catching mama get's expensive. So its best to spend time in the shop away from mama! :D
    Good luck and keep me posted.

Comment

rebuilt top end last winter and installed new crank seals and gaskets to shop manual specs.the ski ran fine all summer untill the idler gear went bad. probably put 15-20 hours on motor.

Comment

15-20hrs and theres a build up of oil? Do you have acces to a case tester? You can put 6-8 PSI and see if it holds pressure.
        if no tester is available cap off intake and exhust ports. You will need to rigg someway to put PSI into eng. At inatke or at exhust dont matter. OK once you have case with air, bicycle pump should work. Get some hose, garden is OK, as long as it will fit into the oil pump hole. Remove the oil pump, stick hose into hole and listen for hiss. if you hear a hiss you got a leak coming thru the seal.

Is it oil and not grease?

[ December 19, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: torquenut ]

Comment

Working...
        X