99 gp800 good bad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 gp800 good bad???

any thoughts on the gp800's? rather good bad or indifferent. im divided between a 97gp1200 and a 99gp800 with a new engine. speed isnt an issue. reliability ismore important.

what type of maintenence is required on the pv's on the 800?
    the 800 im looking at has a brand new engine from riva with 80 hours n the hull and the 1200 im looking at has 120 hours on the engine and hull.

Comment

The powervalve Yamaha motors are not nearly as reliable as the non-pv motors - the valves themselves have design issues and require aftermarket parts to be reliable. The 800 is not as bad as the 1200pv, but it's still not nearly as good as the older 1200 if you are looking at GP hulls.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

thanks tech, i see where your coming from. the older 1200's i heard are great engines and thats what im looking for...reliability. i wasnt sure about the 800's and thats why i had to ask. the 1200 is closer to whare i live by a couple hundred miles so that makes the decision easier too. thanks again

Comment

if you are conbcerned with reliability you should get the 97gp1200. The 800 has power valve's and requires more maintenance. The 1200 engine is a high performance engine
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

i can honestly say i own both. the 800 is bolt on modded no internal engine mods. the 1200 is factory . the 800 with add ons keeps up with the 1200 but thats about to change. i would say go 1200 the pv issue on 800 is an annnoying expense to remedy anyhow

Comment

thanks IM, i just picked up a non pv 1200. i didnt want the headache with the pv's

Comment

Working...
              X