new motor for 650 superjet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new motor for 650 superjet

Well.....xX510 it's like cars....some swear by Fords..and some like Chevys..../shrug .... Now SBT does offer their warranty for 1 year if you ready their statement on the web site...it's a fault free waranty...basically no matter what they would exchange or rebuild your engine. All of SBT engines are bored 1mm over....so there is some truth to them being at the point of when they need rebuit you would have to Resleeve the cylinders on them to install new pistons etc. If you are new to jet skis let me tell ya really quick...when you goto rebuild yours...Like I did mine....if you just happend to need to replace the crank.....BAM...there is 800 bucks....right off the top..then you have gaskets...seals...etc... It's not cost effective really to rebuild yours unless you know for a fact that all the bearings, lower crank seals, etc are in great shape. IF you have an air leak some where in the lower cases....and you run lean....and well you start all over again. I have installed actually a couple of their engines..and they were TOP notch....and have been running strong..with not a single issue. NOw as far as bead blast....duunno about that but when you produce that sorta turn around on engines....your always going to have a few that are not quite right. That's why you have a warranty :D The engines last usually around 100 hours before you want to freshen up the top end...and the lowers....should last around 400 hours...depending on how you treat it...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Mike

[ January 28, 2004, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Mpeavler1 ]

i just bought a '92 650 superjet from a friend for 150 bucks and i need to either rebuild the motor or get a new one. i was planning on buying a SBT short block since they are so well priced until a mechanic at a local watercraft place told me that they are not that good and generally do not last that long. he also said that they are generally bored out so far that you usually cannot rebuild them again and that he has even seen some people receive motors with bead blast sand still in them. and he said id be better off rebuilding the motor i got now.

well id like a little input from you guys. what do you think? i mean obviously you will say your products are good but what kind of guarantee do i have? what is the general life span of one of these motors and are they rebuildable when i do finally wear it out? im pretty new to jet skiing so i basically want to just keep the motor stock for now and maybe later ad a few more things for performance. please give me any information you guys got on a motor for this ski and whatever else you can spare. thanks a lot.
    -Kevin

Comment

We will always run into shops that will bad mouth our product for whatever reason. Usually it comes down to, they will not make as much money off installing an engine for a customer that just saved a grand+ with one of our products.

Our engines are bored in most cases to 1.00mm (0.040") oversize (some receive stock size). This is by no means the maximum, we have more sizes available in our own piston line for every single engine we sell, and there are also other brands available you could use if you chose to do so. None of our blocks are bored to the max bore, period.

Our enignes when compared to OEM longevity will last at LEAST as long. Our cranks are trued much better than a factory assembled crank, and are welded for extra reliability. Nothing about the remaining construction offers any detriment to overall lifespan of the engine's service life, period.

As for blast in the new engines, I can honestly remember two cases of that happening in the 39,000+ units that have shipped out of here in the past 5 years. The units were immediately swapped no questions asked, of course.

[ January 28, 2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Dude, Im an independant repair shop. There is no way I can build and warranty an engine like SBT. They provided an excelent choice for the money. If they are bad mouthing SBT, is as early, they cannot build one for the price. Take in consideration the warranty, that is money in the bank!
        OK, I feel so strong on SBT engines in that I give warranty on the engine and LABOR. That's right if the customers goes with a SBT engine and something happens and is covered by the SBT warranty, all labor is free. I can't offer that type of service if I built them an engine myself using new OEM parts as cost are way pass the SBT price.
        So far only had one warranty claim, but had a replacement engine back withing one week. The customer was very please as he was in the water and no money was spent. That my friend is called service. I provide an excelent service. Yes, there will be times when something goes bad, thats the price of doing business, but word of mouth speaks a lot.
        Hopefully you can make a better decesion or at least have more data to make a desicion. :D

Comment

man im really leaning towards an sbt motor now. i mean for 700 bucks plus shipping that sounds like a really good thing. i cant wait till i start saving up some money so i can get one! thanks a lot guys! oh and is the engine warrantied even if it has been modified with performance parts like a head or anything?
          -Kevin

Comment

Kevin,

You cannot alter the engine at all as far as internal...even the head or your warranty is GONE :( Typically with the 1mm overbore you have a little more performance then the stock engine from what I have seen vs the stock one.

Mike

Comment

You can bolt on anything external and it's still covered, just don't break the engine seals or gaskets.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

ya i figured that. i read it right after i posted...i have a pipe from my original motor that will go on and a decent intake so thatll prob be the only thing performace wise except maybe an MSD ignition
                -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X