98 GP1200 Blown motor questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 GP1200 Blown motor questions

OK first post I've looked for 3 days for some similar issues and didn't see the answers I was looking for.

What is the difference int he PV and non-PV motors, just the exhaust?

I was tearing down the jetski tonight looking at the amount of damage to the motor. Story is, my wifes, sisters husband, knew it wasn't oiling right and drove it to its death. The Number 3 Rod was put through both sides of the motor, destroying the case and cracking the exhaust manifold, I don't have the carbs off yet but I'm not holding my breath. So the ski was free to me with the trailer, I'm not sure if I have a good eal or not at this time.

Is there a place besides what SBT lists for scrap yard, to find a complete core?

The reason I ask about the PV motor is that if I have to buy a new motor and exhaust manifold how much further do I need to go to put in a pv 1300?

Re: 98 GP1200 Blown motor questions

They are 100% different, only named similarly. And no you can not do any kind of swap to another size.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

like the mod said, overbore is it. You'd have to cut fiberglass and rebuild to stuff a pv engine in there. too bad about the core.
      97 venture11/1200, 01gp12r stage1, 02F12X
      dav_dman@yahoo.com

Comment

I have the same problem, got a 97 gp1200 from gf's uncle lol which is in great shape other than a bruised hull from being beached and a running motor with problems. Well, I started it when I first got it home to listen and it sounded like somethin was tinging inside the cylinder and it was smoking inside the hull telling me that there was a hole somewhere. I started getting into it and found peices of metal in the bottom of the hull. I also found some JB Weld or Marinetex or whatever type stuff in the hull too. Looks as if they tried patching a prior problem for a quick fix. So I tore down the top end to find what seemed to be a seized piston (clean and flush with the top of the block) and metal resting on top of it. I haven't actually gone past there but with the metal that seems to be from the casing on the block what are my options? How bad off can a block be before it can't be sleeved? From what I understand they jumped wakes with it and the son never let off overrevving it till it did this. I'm also curious to know the outcome with gixxer. thanks

Comment

Working...
        X