GP760 - Acting like battery is not attached - quick help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP760 - Acting like battery is not attached - quick help needed

I was out riding at about 30mph and the waverunner just quit out on me. It does nothing when I hit the start button, and doesn't show "START" when I hold down the MODE button. I checked the ground cable going from the battery to the block it it feels firm, plus I checked the ground with a voltmeter, hooking the negative to the block and the positive to the battery and it read 12 volts.

I can jump the starter relay with a screw driver and the engine cranks. I have no idea what that means, but I read to try it on a different post. I know it means the starter is good and the engine isn't locked up, but that's not a definitive test that the relay is good, so is there another way of testing it?

I tried disconnecting the kill switch plug but that didn't help either.

I'm guessing it's the CDI unit based on the fact that there seems to be no power going to the multi function display.

Any help is much appreciated, if I'm going to the dealer today I need to do it in the next few hours otherwise I can't go for another week so fast help would be even more appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chip-
    Last edited by carguy84; 07-20-2007, 11:34 AM.

Re: GP760 - Acting like battery is not attached - quick help needed

Not sure how your machine is wired but my Yamaha has a fuse in the main power lead at the CDI unit. That would be my first check.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob, I forgot to mention I checked that fuse out and it was passing along power. I think I'm going to go start poking the voltimeter down the electrical system. Spikey hair in, 5...4....3...2...;)

Comment

So I've swapped out the CDI with a good one, but that wasn't it.

Today, though, I took my volt meter and put the red on the battery and put the black on the bundle of ground wires that go to the black box the CDI is in, and it read 0 volts. I thought this was weird since that is supposed to be grounded, no?

Well, I took a wire and connected it to the two sets of black wires and put the other end on a bolt on the engine, and now the voltmeter reads 12 volts and the motor will kick over, but it won't start. So I seem to be getting closer, but I'm still just guessing at it.

Anyone have any further thoughts, knowing this?

Thanks again,

Chip-

Comment

Where is your wire diagram ??

Seems to me that the button you stick your black clip under is a switch that likely power up the electrical, thus allowing the start button to switch power to the starter solenoid to energize the winding, and allow the plunger to pull and connect the 2 red cable toghether and turn the starter motor.

Diag your switches.

I could be wrong, but I not seen my YAMAHA manual for couple yr now, place is a wreck.
          ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

In case anyone ever runs across this. There's a ground bolt in the cover of the crankshaft. WHEN that comes loose, these symptoms appear.

FWIW, when the tech at the dealer pulled the cover off, they couldn't even find the bolt, just the shavings of it. So apparently the bolt came loose during my ride and just bounced around the engine until I shut the engine off. Then with no ground connected, the engine would turn over to start up.

$1200 later.......

Comment

Last edited by Tony G; 07-23-2009, 09:38 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

What did they have to do to fix it ? seems like alot,,,tg :(

Comment

Ya, it was a lot, but I will say, it's still running great.

The bolt bounced around the bottom of the engine and took out the stator? The part that generates the electricity on the front of the engine which in turn also took out the CDI.

So with parts and labor it was a painful experience, but (at that time) it was 10 years old and the first dollars I've had to put into it.

So for a water vehicle, not all that bad, but still tough to swallow.

Chip-

Comment

That stuff gets expensive, there's one good thing, It's running,,,tg:)

Comment

Working...
                    X