YAMAHA PUMP GREASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAMAHA PUMP GREASE

I HAVE A QUESTION ON MY 1998 GP 1200 PUMP. I JUST TURNED 500 HRS ON MY SKI. 65HRS ON SBT MOTOR. I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS ANY ROUTINE MAINTAINCE REQUIRED ON THE PUMP BEARINGS AS FAR AS ADDING GREASE IN THE BEARING. IS THIS RECOMMENDED WITH HIGH HOURS. IF SO WHAT GREASE IS BEST? PUMP IS STOCK AND HAS NEVER BEEN TOUCHED.

The grease should not be consumed. I believe the manual calls for a 100 or 150 hour inspection, but if all is well, just bolt the cone back on. I took mine off around 100 hours to install an AAT, and it was perfect. I have yet to hear of any problem with them. I don't recall what specific grease is used (I'm at home).
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

OK THANKS. I THINK I WILL PULL THE CONE TOMORROW AND INSPECT.

Comment

At 500 hrs i can almost assure you water has made its way passed the front seals and doing some damage to your front bearing.(especially if its salt water)This cannot be determined by pulling off the rear cone. The shaft will have to be removed.
        I would recomend rebuilding the pump with new bearings and seals, and repack with fresh grease. this way you'll be good to go.
        The OEM yamaha grease is a very low viscosity grease. We make up our own "special sauce" using a mix of synthetic grease and synthetic gear oil.

PS: dont forget to hold your nose when pulling the cone off a 500 hr pump [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]
        www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

WELL I PULLED THE PUMP OFF THIS MORNING TO INSPECT. IT LOOKED FINE. THE GREASE IN THE REAR CONE IS A WHITE COLOR AND HAD ALMOST NO ODOR. THE FRONT SEAL IS FINE AND THE PUMP SPINS FREE WITH NO PROBLEM. FRONT SEAL AND BEARING WAS FINE. EVERYTHING ON THE SHAFT AND PUMP IS STILL SHINY. NEVER BEEN IN SALT WATER. I ADDED A LITTLE GREASE THAT I GOT FROM A YAMAHA DEALER AND REASSEMBLED THE PUMP. GOOD TO GO FOR NOW.

Comment

Sounds good.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
            X