Excessive smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive smoking

I have a 96 WVT1100 with approx 350 hrs. At idle it smokes bad. It is so bad that in no wake zones you cannot stand to follow it. Everything else is fine, runs great, handles good and looks good. Can I check for proper oil ratio? Is the ratio adjustable? Anything specific I should be looking for?
    Thanks

Re: Excessive smoking

The average I found with mine is 50:1 via fuel measure and oil tank filling (my tanks are maked at various levels to aid keeping track).... I am now pre-mix for last 3-4yr.. In stock form, that is not the motor to inject unless you plumb the drip tubes to actually drip into the carb' throats...

You might just go with a synthetic oil, mine barely smokes...

***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Thanks for the advice. What type of oil are you using? To go pre mix what did you do to the oiling system?

Comment

I just pulled the pump off the front cover. Use rubber cap on the bottom of the oil tank, and filled the oil tank with cheap motor oil to keep floats floating.

Put a plate over the front cover in place of the oil pump to keep water and junk out from inside of front cover (flywheel and electrical stuff inside), dont wat to damage anything there..

Now you need to either empty the fuel tank, so you can start with pre-mix in a 5 gallon can and start to re-fill tank with correct mix fuel. Due to straight gasoline in the fuel lines, you will want to dribble oil into the carb throats for a bit to allow the fuel to circulate and flush, while still making sure your engine is being lubed untill the pre-mix gets into system and lines full of pre-mix.

I have my tank marked for 5 and 10 gallon level, so you could use that for reference to just add oil, and chase it in with gas to 10 gallon level, and shake well, but you still need to dribble oil into carbs for a bit... I can take pic, but it will be a day or so, as I am going to Cincy after work tomorrow, be dark when I get home.

Oil, I been using KLOTZ Ski-craft for last couple year, buying the gallon bottles from dealer. Prior to that, it was AMSOIL AIO (now discontinued), but likely be AMSOIL Interceptor, as price is less than KLOTZ. I ran out out of KLOTZ sunday, had some AMSOIL that I use in the weed whacker to get me by.

Klotz - http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=30

Amsoil - http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ait.aspx
        ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Working...
          X