1100 Waveraider Hole in the piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 Waveraider Hole in the piston

I just bought an 95 waveraider 1100 triple with a blown top end the third piston has a hole burnt in it, I think it was running lean but may have a gasket leak, or it could be no oil ? The engine prior had a complete rebuild crank is 10 hrs old Any idea's on what may have caused it. I'm in the middle of rebuilding it and would hate to have it happen again >: I'm new to Yamaha...

I have posted some pics on the Carbs, they have copper lines. The two that are missing are the same two cylinders that are damaged. Going by the solder they are home made. On the carbs I have looked at they are a different to mine any idea.

or should I just wait for the manual?

I have ordered a manual still waiting?

P.S whats wrong with WSM Pistons ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rags; 12-13-2007, 07:05 AM.

Re: 1100 Waveraider Hole in the piston

Your carbs are the reason you are burning pistons. Those velocity stacks need to come off and put some flame arresters on the carbs. You might have gotten water in the cylinder or the carbs are not set right. The small copper lines you point to look like some type of make/shift oil injection nipples. The piston melt down is from a lean fuel condition.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for that. I have been searching for a complete stock air box. you guys in the states have all the parts LOL...Or I might go pre-mix and after market arrestors ?

Comment

When I pulled the carbs apart the 3rd carb had a longer and heavier needle and seat spring in it. this was the only thing i could find wrong and of course the stacks I have ordered a complete set of stock springs :)

Comment

Working...
        X