Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older 2-Strokes vs. newer 4-strokes, and where to find 2-strokes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older 2-Strokes vs. newer 4-strokes, and where to find 2-strokes???

Hello All:

My friend and I are looking to get "back in business" for this summer with a pair of PWC. I have a 1997 GP1200, and we want to get an older 2 or 3 seater. We were thinking either another GP, a Wave Venture, or an XL1200, something like that.

1) Does anyone know a good source for fairly priced older units like that, other than EBay?

2) We don't think we like the newer 4-strokes because we feel they are too big and heavy and are something completely different than what we cut our teeth on years ago! I assume they are so big and heavy because the nature of the 4 stroke engine is it is bigger and much heavier than a 2 stoke, more like an engine for a small car?

I know the 4-stokes last longer, run cleaner, and need less repairs. I assume they are fuel injected and get somewhat better gas mileage than the older 2-strokes? If anyone wants to try to convince us that we MUST buy a 4-stroke, let us know some reasons please!

Otherwise, where do they hide all the well maintained older 2-strokes? I'm having quite a hard time finding any of them.

I would love to hear if there is much of a demand for 2-strokes from older riders? It sure seems like there's a lot of interest in the older 2-strokes here...

We would also like to know if the racing biz has been affected at all by the size of the new PWC's, or if demand for mods and aftermarket parts is the same or greatly increased from years ago, say the late 90's???

Please respond, any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Lee B.

Re: Older 2-Strokes vs. newer 4-strokes, and where to find 2-strokes???

Lee, there are plenty of old 2 strokes out there, but most need work. The carbed two strokes are much easier to work on verses the fuel injected ones. Your better off finding an older 2 stroke that needs work for a decent price than trying to find an older one that appears to be in great shape that will cost a lot of money . In most cases those have not been ridden much and have been sitting for long periods of time which causes seals to dry out and air leaks to occur. If you decide to take the plunge into 4 strokes then I would say My personal favorites are the Kawasaki and Sea-doo non supercharged models. Both of these are much better on fuel than any of the 2 strokes out and a night and day difference in riding. You should test a few four strokes before you make any decisions. Good luck. Tom SBT tech .:)
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Older 2-Strokes vs. newer 4-strokes, and where to find 2-strokes???

Hello:

Thank you VERy much for the useful response. Now that you pointed those things out, I believe I totally agree. I'm still not sure where one goes to find a decent two stroke. I will think about the four strokes.

In a related question/statement, it seems that ALL of these shops only want to work on skis that are 2-3 years old at the most. That really annoys me. They make it out like rebuilding the carbs has to cost hundreds of dollars and then you still don't know what the engine itself looks like inside life wise. IT almost seems like you have to be a mechanic to ride an older ski?

Thank you for any and all input on this. Not everyone has $11,000 to invest in a new ski...

Lee B.

Comment

A good place to look for used anything is craigslist. You can find good deals at your local area there. Where are you from?

Comment

Originally posted by Reudly
          A good place to look for used anything is craigslist. You can find good deals at your local area there. Where are you from?
          you can even find hookers on crais list as well used ones:beer

Comment

Lee, You are some what right about being a mech to work on the old skis. Its more like you need to have a good understanding of watercraft engines and not be afraid to spend time and money to keep them going. If you choose an older 2 stroke as your ride then invest in a factory repair manual and learn the basics on the carbs. None of this stuff is real difficult as long as you keep it stock and dont cut corners on repairs. Most of the local repair shops dont want to deal with the old skis because the customers dont want to pay the money to have them repaired properly. Most people dont want to put big money into old skis because they feel there not worth it but, the reality is that spending $2,000 in repairs on a ski you bought for $2,000 is still better than $9,000 for a new ski. Good luck with your decision and if we can help then please let us know. Tom SBT tech.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
            X