Problems plaining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems plaining

I've got a '01 1200 XLT with a new SBT Engine. Has about 4 hrs total time on it. Carbs were rebuilt when engine was pulled. I was having a problem plaining, so I installed and SBT wear ring, and an SBT refurbished impeller. I also rebuilt the pump while I had it apart. Thought this should fix my problem, but it doesn't. I can get to about 13mph, and then it starts making a winding noise. It's not a metal on metal, just a really high pitched winding. If your looking at the water coming out the back, everything looks fine. Looks the same as if your running 50mph, so I know everything inside is turning. The funny thing is, if I come out of a turn, the problem seems to not be as bad. I can also get it to plain occasionally if i rock it from side to side. I've run out of ideas and don't know what else to do. Any suggestions on where to start?

JD

Re: Problems plaining

Sounds like it might be cavitating around the pump shoe, are you getting top end out of the ski? Tom SBT tech.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I'm getting top end. It's just low end. Once I get is started, everything runs fine. It's just getting it past 13 mph. How do I fix it if it's cavitating?

Comment

Check under the ski and see how the pump shoe looks in the area that it is bonded to the hull. see if there is any areas with gaps between the shoe and hull. Tom SBT tech.

Comment

Install a PUMP SHOE SEAL KIT and use 3M4200 for sealing--problem gone---->
          http://islandracing.net/xllxlt.html
          www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a pump seal kit from Riva yesterday. Hopefully this fixes it. JD

Comment

I put in the pump shoe seal kit, and used a little silicone in areas that I thought might let a little air pass, and problem fixed. Thanks for all the help guys.

JD

Comment

Great news Cheers:) :beer

Comment

Working...
                X