vx110 fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vx110 fuel pump

Just wanted to say thanks first to all who post. Your info is really helpful.
    Have 2 vx110 deluxe skis. one just wont start.
    Started them in April, ran fine. Ran a couple minutes after sitting for 2 weeks later.
    Now nothing.
    Battery good, cranks hard, fuel is fresh, all fuses good, never been upside down barely had 1 oil change.
    Will run on ether. these things have less than 20 hours.
    Could it be a fuel pump?
    How can I check?

Re: vx110 fuel pump

How old is the battery? And what is voltage while cranking? When is the last time spark plugs where changed? Check all and post back.Tom SBT tech.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Battery is 2 yrs old. plugs are original.

Only has 19 hrs on the ski.

What do you look for for "Fouled" plugs. Just burned electrode? I couldn't imagine the plugs bad so early, but maybe.

I have Identical twin ski same age/hours. no probs.

The battery was removed and fully charged, then cranked again. I'll measure it.

What kind of voltage am I looking for? Just 12v?

Thanks

Comment

Change the plugs. Battery must have min. of 10.5 volts while cranking. Tom SBT tech.

Comment

I'll get on it. Thanks

Comment

ok, everything checks out good. Finally took it in and dealer says I need a fuel pump. What are the odds of a fuel pump going out at less than 20 hours? $500 buck for a pump!*@#* Does it sound like a defective pump? Yamaha is giving me the runaround because I'm out of warranty and won't chump in for the pump. Any Suggestions?

Their technical dept won't even talk to me because I'm not a dealer. :emotredf

Comment

Thats the way it works, You would have to call customer service but if your out of w/a your probably out of luck. they would more than likely say you should have purchased an extended w/a. Best of luck, Tom SBT tech.

Comment

Called another dealer whose service guy says fuelpumps are a really common problem. Especially with 4-strokes. For Real?

Anyone out there had fuel pump issues on 4-stroke yams?
                At about how many hours?

Thanks for any responses. Not trying to be a whiner, I'm just not willing to spend $500 bucks every year or 2 on fuel pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by teacherman
                  Called another dealer whose service guy says fuelpumps are a really common problem. Especially with 4-strokes. For Real?

Anyone out there had fuel pump issues on 4-stroke yams?
                  At about how many hours?

Thanks for any responses. Not trying to be a whiner, I'm just not willing to spend $500 bucks every year or 2 on fuel pumps.
                  I take care of many vx110's from which many did have about 1000 hrs on it and never had a fuel pump going bad.
                  Be happy it is not the throttle body$$$$$$$$$$$$
                  Main problems we got are at around 700hrs the voltage regulators, some fuel injectors and that is about it, we do rebuild the pumps every 300hrs even if they are still ok.
                  All and all a very reliable ski.

Comment

Anyone else have vx110's? How many hours without problems?
                    I just want to be informed when I start campaigning with Yamaha Customer Relations.

Comment

Teacherman, Some times the more you use a machine the better it will run, Its like leaving a car parked in the garage for a long time with out using it and then you go to use it and every thing leaks or it doesn't want to start. Seals dry up and stagnant fuel will gum things up and cause issues. It would be wise in the future that if your not going to do any riding to still every once in a while start the machine up for a few seconds to keep the fuel moving through the system and keep all of the seals wet. Just My opinion. Good luck and if we can help in any way please let us know. Tom SBT tech.

Comment

I'll take any advice to keep them running at tip top. Thanks. That does make sense.

Good news (Maybe?) Customer relations wants the dealer to ovenight the fuel pump to Tech. Sevices to be examined. Wish me luck!
                        Maybe Yamaha will do the right thing.

Comment

I have 06 vx110 with 130 hrs. Fouled plugs only problem to date. Probably because I have extended warranty - haha.

Comment

I would take Tom's advice, and these other people who have day to day experience with the Yamaha 4 strokes, rather than listen to a "salesman" at the service department of the dealer.

Spark plugs can foul without warning at any time. One of my FX140's, an 04 Cruiser with 110 flawless hrs, just suddenly started running bad, like it was on 3 cylinders, would not go over 7500 rpm. No weeds in my intake grate, ignition spark checked out OK, cylinder compression checked out OK, and the plugs looked OK too. But you cannot always tell just by looking at the plugs. So I went to Autozone and spent $12 on new NGK plugs. Runs like new again. Sometimes, you get lucky, and it's somethiong simple.

Tom is right about battery voltage too. I got this information from the Exide Batteries website, when my battery tested at 12 volts, but would not start my engine:

BATTERY POWER

12.6 volts or higher 100%
                            12.4 volts 75%
                            12.2 volts 50%
                            12.0 volts 25%
                            11.7 volts or below 0%

I once thought that if I had 12 volts in my 12 volt battery, it was good. NOT true. A 12 volt battery is rated from 11.7 volts (DEAD), to 12.6 volts (FULLY CHARGED).
                            Just tryin' to help out.

I ride: XL800, XL1200 Ltd, FX140

Comment

Working...
                            X