Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL1200 LTD Exhaust Overheating?

Hello:

I'm hopeing the SBT staff or someone knowledgeable on this can throw me a bone on this.

I recently brought a "used" 1999 XL1200 with about 60 fresh water hours on it. We had it checked over by Yamaha certified mechanics the beginning of the season, and all looked well except the power valve cable was stretched or something like that and needed to be replaced before a proper adjustment could be made to the power valve cable. Since then, I would say it's been running pretty well all summer.

On the way back from riding all day this weekend, the exhaust overheating warning came on and stayed on until out of the water. Back on the flush kit the warning did not come on again and everything seemed okay. I have the service manual here and have started to review it. I think there were a lot of issues with the exhaust sensors and many people had to disconnect them, am I right? I also wondered if the cat converter needs to be pulled off and replaced with the D ring possibly. Would the exhaust warning indicate a clog in the cooling system somewhere? We flush religiously, and I don't remember any time that we would have sucked up any sand or rocks. I don't know if this rules out a clog, but water is coming out of the cooling system "telltale."

Can anyone advise me how this problem is properly diagnosed or treated?

THANK YOU,

Lee B.

Re: XL1200 LTD Exhaust Overheating?

You could have a faulty sensor, and the book explains on how to diagnose that (pot of water, on the stove trick).

I think the D-Plate and Cat Chip is a VERY wise move as your CAT could be failing.

Since water is coming out of the pissers, then it's probably not a cooling clog, unless it's at the MAIN outlet after the CAT (unlikely)
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Dsolie, has it right, I think that your cat has gone to cat heaven. If you dont want to take the exhuast off.
      This is how you check, take the rubber hose off at the end of stinger, once it is off look inside rubber hose if you see little peices of white stuff honey come, thats pieces of cat and it's toast. Cost for a new one is 700+ so its best for a D plate and chip.

Comment

Hi:

Thank you. Well we talked to a mechanic today, and he said he's seen cats go bad with 10 hours on the machine. We're going to go down to Ocean City, NJ tomorrow where they are stored to look at it. Mechanic says 1 hour labor to install a d plate and chip. Thinking about having him do it since it's a quick fix if thats the problem.

I took my GP1200 apart, including the exhast and put it all back together. Is this something I should attempt that is fairly easy to do, or no?

And, what is a stinger? I know what the stringer's are, but not stingers? Is that part of the exhaust?

Thank You,

Lee B.

Comment

installing a D-plate is super easy, a few bolts...done.

The stinger is the portion of the exhaust that is after the cat (goes down, S shape to the waterbox).
          Dan Solie -
          94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Thank you!

I found a crack and bend in the intake grate while inspecting the ski too...

Lee B.

Comment

Well that case is solved.

When I took the hose off and looked in the area of the stinger, there was nothing to see.

However, I took it apart anyway, and the cat was in pieces, parts of it were just gone.

D plate installed.

THANK YOU!!!!

Comment

Easy huh?
                Dan Solie -
                94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                X