XL1200 Cavitation and Handling Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL1200 Cavitation and Handling Questions

We just brought a used 1999 XL1200, and we're having two issues I was hopeing for some input.

All I have ridden for years is my stock 1997 GP1200. That never cavitates and handles/hooks up like a monster as far as i'm concerned.

This XL1200 is very different. In choppy water, often when you start out it wants to cavitate. Then if you let it pick up a little speed and then give more throttle it hooks up and takes off okay. Is that to be expected? We had it checked out at the beginning of the season by Yamaha certified techs and they did not see any pump issues or problems.

Also, there's Beach House sponsons on it in the moderate position. We're going to try to drop them down because it seems to slip on turns and then all of a sudden the sponsons grab abruptly. It doesn't really want to aggresively carve and turn.

Maybe we're asking for GP1200 characteristics in a big overweight sled. Does anyone know what is reasonable handling to expect from an XL1200 or if different sponsons would work much better?

Thank You,

Lee B.

Re: XL1200 Cavitation and Handling Questions

Seal the pump shoe with a PPK and that will take care of your cavitation issues. Sponsons all the way down will make the boat corner better, and be more difficult to spin.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Hi:

Thank you. So you think even though they supposedly inspected the pump it may still need sealing up? Help me out, what is a PPK?

Thank You,

Lee B.

Comment

pump plug kit

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/browsepr...--XLT1200.html
        Dan Solie -
        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
        94 xp (freestyle mods)
        95 xp (faster than the 94)
        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Agree with dsolie, would also inspect the impeller since you do not know how long the cavitation has been going on, we do see them in bad shape because of cavitation burns.
          Grease you splines on the drive shaft, there are many intermediate shafts stripping out, you can maintain al of this since it has to come apart anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X