Shred-Master Ride Plate & the GP1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shred-Master Ride Plate & the GP1200

I added Pro-Tec Trim Tabs to my stock '98 GP1200. They helped a lot, but still needs something to further reduce the porpoising. I have the Riva Groovy ride plate which I haven't installed yet. Riva has a 4 month back-order on their Performance Ride Plate.

Has anybody tried the Shred-Master Ride Plate on their GP1200? The Shred-Master Web site sounds positive (but of course, that's their job [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts on the Shred-Master line, or any other brand suggestions.

One last question. I've seen, and received several suggestions that the Riva "Limited" ride plate is great. Riva Sales told me they don't offer them anymore, but that the Riva Performance plate is the same thing. Is that accurate according to your experience; or more like a sales pitch?

Thanks,

jim
    '98 Yamaha GP1200<br />'98 Kawasaki 1100 STX

Yes they renamed the plate. The groovy will make it worse. The Shred is excellent, just expensive.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

IMO the Shred is worth the $200.00

Comment

R&D plate with 1 washer on each side in the rear and stepped Riva Sponsons.(or YAS down in the back) $200 is way too much for a ride plate.
        J-me
        05 Bayliner 175
        98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

Comment

Re: Shred-Master Ride Plate &amp; the GP1200

IMO the OEM plate on the '98 GP1200 is better than the R & D. The R & D
          makes it way to loose in the turns. There are some "NO Ski" buoys where
          I ride. I use them as a Slalom couse when nobody else is rounds. I can run them WOT with the shred and cut within 12" of the buoys. With the R & D -
          forget it. You will spin or miss a buoy at WOT. 1/2 throttle maybe. Thats why
          I have an practically brand R & D plate in my garage collecting dust.
          Last edited by 99gp1200; 06-27-2004, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I run a Shred on my '97 GP1200 and a Riva Ltd Ed plate on my '98 GP1200. IMO, the Shred (although expensive) does the best job of eliminating the notorious porpoising on these ski's. But in doing so, it also costs you 2-3mph off the top end. On the Riva plate, I had to add 2 washers under the front bolts and 3 under the rear to "true it" flush to the hull to get rid of most of the porpoising... at about a loss of 1-2mph. Most riders prefer the Riva plate because it is 1) more easily "tunable" to adjust to various riding conditions and 2) about 1/2 the price of the Shred. But if you plan on riding all day in fairly rough conditions, want the best hook-up for your ski and want to keep your shoulders from dislocating from their sockets by the end of the day (or atleast feel that way), then the Shred is the plate for you. If you ride for shorter lengths of time in more calm water (<1ft chop), want the "tunability and speed is at the top of your list, then the Riva Ltd Ed (or the very similar Performance plate) is probably the best plate.

It's not worth your time to install the groovy plate.... but I hear they make great boat anchors!! (LOL)

I have a brand new R&D plate I'm willing to sell for $60+frt if anyone has interest. I bought the plate to compare vs. the Riva plate performance-wise but have never had the time. From what I've read on other forums, the R&D plate is very comparable to the Riva Performance plate (and look very similar in shape/size) in that it is very "tunable". I also have a new R&D Aquavein intake grate I'll sell for $80+frt.
            Last edited by 1200ks; 06-27-2004, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Based on side by side comparisons with my riding buddies I did not lose any speed with the Shred. The speedo indicated a speed loss but
              that just because the shred changed the water flow at the sensor.

Comment

I tried many over the years....I believe that I am currently using the shred master too..experimented with plastic washers under it to achieve the best results..I noticed that the longer the plate the less purpoising...where you sit also affects the ride. My current plate comes to a point in the rear and is curved...not flat...that is the shred master one ..correct??? my garage was full of plates that supposedly eliminated purpoising on the gp1200....it will never happen but you can help decrease it...

Comment

you are correct.. the shred has a curved "tail" that comes to a point at the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by 1200ks View Post
                    I run a Shred on my '97 GP1200 and a Riva Ltd Ed plate on my '98 GP1200. IMO, the Shred (although expensive) does the best job of eliminating the notorious porpoising on these ski's. But in doing so, it also costs you 2-3mph off the top end. On the Riva plate, I had to add 2 washers under the front bolts and 3 under the rear to "true it" flush to the hull to get rid of most of the porpoising... at about a loss of 1-2mph. Most riders prefer the Riva plate because it is 1) more easily "tunable" to adjust to various riding conditions and 2) about 1/2 the price of the Shred. But if you plan on riding all day in fairly rough conditions, want the best hook-up for your ski and want to keep your shoulders from dislocating from their sockets by the end of the day (or atleast feel that way), then the Shred is the plate for you. If you ride for shorter lengths of time in more calm water (<1ft chop), want the "tunability and speed is at the top of your list, then the Riva Ltd Ed (or the very similar Performance plate) is probably the best plate.

It's not worth your time to install the groovy plate.... but I hear they make great boat anchors!! (LOL)

I have a brand new R&D plate I'm willing to sell for $60+frt if anyone has interest. I bought the plate to compare vs. the Riva plate performance-wise but have never had the time. From what I've read on other forums, the R&D plate is very comparable to the Riva Performance plate (and look very similar in shape/size) in that it is very "tunable". I also have a new R&D Aquavein intake grate I'll sell for $80+frt.
                    is this ride plate still available please PM me :) thanks

Comment

Call Riva. Post at pwctoday.com to sell your R&D plate.
                      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X