Yamaha Waverunner Running Rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Waverunner Running Rough

2005 Waverunner VX 1100 Deluxe. Oh boy, where to start. First off, I made the mistake of adding oil to the engine when it was cool. Paid for that mistake, but changed the plugs and the air filter, cleaned up the excess oil, and the unit ran fine. No more smoke, no more sluggish behavior of any kind.

Later in the day, the wife and I jump on the ski and decide to do a little riding. We ride for about ten minutes and the engine is purring like a kitten and the speed is great. All of a sudden she says, "It's really running good", and all hell breaks loose. I swear, as soon as she said that it bogged down and started running rough. :( It lost power. It felt like something was vibrating.

I immediately backed off the power and it idled wonderfully. No sluggish behavior of any kind. We idled to a buddy's dock, about 100 yards away, got off and checked the engine. All looked normal. I checked the oil and it was fine (about halfway between min and max on the stick).

I haven't checked compression yet, but will hopefully do that tomorrow. I also plan to call the service department of my dealer in the a.m. to see what they think.

Any ideas? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Yamaha Waverunner Running Rough

Could be many different things, Bad fuel injector, fouled spark plug?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: Yamaha Waverunner Running Rough

Ok, so here's what happens now. I take the ski out of the water, clean the plugs up (the didn't look bad, but I cleaned em anyway). Put the plugs back in the ski and this morning I put it in the water for a final check before calling my dealer.

It started like clockwork. I back off the trailer and head out on the lake. It is still running rough, with a vibration, but it has a little more power and appears that it is going to plane out. It goes up on plane and I run it for several minutes and suddenly the vibration starts to disappear. A few seconds later, I'm running like nothing ever happened.

Afterwards, my son takes it out and runs it for 45 minutes or so and there is no problem. Just thought I'd update in case someone else has a similar issue in the near future.

:)

Comment

Working...
      X