1999 yamaha Wave Runner1200 XLT Dumps at 48 MPH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 yamaha Wave Runner1200 XLT Dumps at 48 MPH

Wave runner starts great runs well until it reaches 48 mph (according to speed meter)then dumps back to twenty mph,picks back up and dumps again. The wave runner has 50 hrs on it,new plugs fresh gas. I'am perplexed.

Re: 1999 yamaha Wave Runner1200 XLT Dumps at 48 MPH

The issue is in the carbs, rebuild them, its a 99 yr. even with 50 hrs the carbs need to be removed and inspected on the inside.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

My wave runner hits 3mph, and dies, I'd love 48mph. :)

Comment

Re: 1999 yamaha Wave Runner 1200 XLT Dumps at 48 MPH

So ,Let me ask this ,do the carbs just go bad instantly?
        The wave Runner was running at 64mph consistantly or a little better. I took the Wave runner to a local shop when it started running poorley.
        The shop said it was the servo. I requested the shop to change the servo out if that was what was needed to fix the problem. A month later I get the unit back with the shop stating that the Wave Runner was fixed.
        I took the unit to the lake that I live on excited to have it back at summers end. I headed out on the lake and was very disapointed,it was doing the same thing that it was doing when I took it to the shop. I Call the shop and after 4 days they made an appointment to have a tech meet at the lake to trouble shoot the problem. After about 15 munites the tech states that the exhuast housing is cracked and that would need to be replaced. One exhuast housing later still the same problem? The shop has taken the position that any more help from them will be at their $150.00 an hr. rate.
        It seems odd that a machine would start up and run fine not missing a beat then fall on its face. I will take your advice and have the carbs checked. Thank you.

Comment

The cat. is broken in the exhaust or blown out and clogging the end of the pipe. But still its probably time to inspect those carbs too
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Isn't that nice, the experts at the repair shop replace your servo, for no reason. I'd be pissed about that, and would never go back there, unless they make sure the same dumb *** doesn't work on your ski again. They completely misdiagnosed your problem.

I agree with tech support 100% - it sounds like you catalytic converter is clogged, has broken up, or has come loose from it's mount and fallen down into a narrow section of your exhaust, restricting exhaust flow. Remove both main sections of your exhaust, remove cat con, and replace with d-plate and sensor chip ($80). Contact John at Watercraft Superstore for d-plate.

On carbs, yes they do just suddenly go bad and need to be rebuilt. Diaphragms that were once soft, get hard with age and can negatively effect fuel flow to engine. A carb that is not operating correctly can cause a lean condition, followed by burnt pistons, blown motors, followed by big credit card purchases at SBT.......
            Just tryin' to help out.

I ride: XL800, XL1200 Ltd, FX140

Comment

!200 is fixed. Problem was in the carbs********* Water in #2. One question? What is the correct setting for the RAV Valves?

Comment

Working...
              X