2004 SUV1200 - seized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 SUV1200 - seized

The jetski was swamped and almost sank. I saved it, but it looks like it was for naught. I brought it home, removed the plugs, and turned it over to blow the water out. I then fogged it with fogging oil, blew it out, and fogged it again. I then started it up with the water hooked up to the flush. It ran for about 4 minutes and then seized.

I pulled it apart today. The #3 piston is missing pieces and cracked. All 3 of the piston arms are bluish in color. There are scrape marks on the left side of all 3 pistons. The real problem is that the crankshaft is seized in place. I can't move it. I haven't pulled the flywheel yet (don't have a puller), but the engine is out and on the driveway.

The question is, do I rebuild it or what?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I'm not a mechanic.

Mark

Re: 2004 SUV1200 - seized

Call SBT and order a new motor. Price is about $1600 and comes with one year no fault warranty.

Rebuild it yourself, and you will need a cylinder exchange kit ($700) a new crankshaft ($500) and a complete engine gasket set ($100). The parts alone will cost about $1400, lots of work, and you get no warranty.

If you rebuild, be sure to copper coat both sides of your metal gaskets.
    Just tryin' to help out.

I ride: XL800, XL1200 Ltd, FX140

Comment

Working...
    X