1999 Yamaha 1200, lost back cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha 1200, lost back cylinder

I got this 99 4 seater as a trade for a 51 Studebaker that I had. He said the motor was rebuilt last season and only ran a few times. I decided to let the kids enjoy it at the first of summer before I sold it. We had a blast for 3 days at the lake. It really ran good. Then it quit when my son was on it and started hard. I got it running and it would get up to a decent speed and shut down. Took it to an independent motorcycle/jet ski shop. First two cylinders where 125 and the back one was 0. They said the carburetor probably messed up or plugged up. They said they don't rebuild motors but would order a new one out of florida with a one or two year warranty. $900 or $1200 and another $1200 for install and rebuild carbs. This was my savings account and now I have nothing. What are my options. I can do quite a bit of mechanic work. Do you think I can install a new one. I not very familiar with this website as I just found it. Any advice and options. Any value as is? New motor and I install or just let someone else do it? I'm in North east Texas.

Re: 1999 Yamaha 1200, lost back cylinder

Hi ya Mike, sorry to hear you found Yamaha's little mistake. The oil delivery lines from the oil pump to the carbs (especially #3 it’s the longest line) tend to slip off the fittings. Yamaha in there infinite wisdom used tie wraps to secure the lines to the carbs. I'll bet if you look in the bottom of your ski you'll see a puddle of oil.

If she didn’t throw a rod there’s a good chance you can just do a top end rebuild of just the #3 cylinder along with few other simple modifications to make the 1200 much more reliable.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I really don't think I threw a rod. I idled it back to shore and it didn't make any strange knocking sounds. The two places I've contacted wouldn't do a rebuild. One wouldn't work on anything over 10 years old. I've got a friend checking at another place.

Comment

The price to exchange that engine for a new one at SBT is $1600, don't know where your guy got $1200 from?? Anyway, you may not need a complete engine Mike.

The cylinder head needs to come off and you need to lift that cylinder off of the piston so you can see how serious the problem is. Can you get away with just a new piston and rings? Can the cylinder be honed or does it need to be re-sleeved? Did the powervalve drop down and damage the piston? Do you need a new powervalve?

If you find any metal particles you'll need to wash out the engine with gas or kerosene so that you don't ruin your crankshaft bearings. And of course clean carbs and get rid of oil injection system.

You may be able to find a local mechanic on Craigslist.org, or Angieslist. An outboard mechanic who has experience with 2 strokes could do the work if you cannot find watercraft mechanic.

I had a similar problem and did most of the work myself. I removed engine, removed damaged cylinder, took my cylinder and piston to local Yamaha dealer, got a piston that was identical to the damaged one (Yamaha used 3 different size pistons manufacturing those engines, so it's important to match piston to that particular cylinder). Yamaha then sent my cylinder head and the new piston off to get the cylinder "re-chromed", or re-sleeved.

Cost me $90 for piston kit, $175 for resleeve, and about $110 for gaskets (head, head cover, cyl base, exhaust man), and another $150 for carb kits. SBT has tech articles that can help you do the carbs yourself.
        Just tryin' to help out.

I ride: XL800, XL1200 Ltd, FX140

Comment

I found out that is the price for the non pv motor. How do I tell which I have? The place I took it to either knows it;s the non pv or they just quoted me the other one. How do I tell?

Comment

If you have a 1999 Yamaha XL1200 Ltd you have a powervalve engine.

If you have a 1999 Yamaha GP1200 you have the non-pv engine.
            Just tryin' to help out.

I ride: XL800, XL1200 Ltd, FX140

Comment

Working...
            X