Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP battery wont charge

Hi, thanks for this forum!!

I have a 2001 GP1200r that killed while i was driving it yesterday. I sat for a few minutes and it started............then died after about 2 minutes.......i would try to start it right back up, but it would just click........but if i let it sit for a couple minutes it would start again..........this worked long enough to get me back to my dock.

My first inclination was to replace the battery........as I bought the ski a year ago, and didn't know the age of the battery..........plus, when I went to remove it, the negitive cable was so corroded that i had to break the post to get it off.........

Brand new battery lasted about 20 minutes, then it died again. Dead battery..............

What is my next move?? Do these things have alternators? All help is appreciated!!!!

Re: HELP battery wont charge

check that you generator is charging.

Comment

You indicated you change your battery, but did not say if you chaged the corroded battery cable.

Change the cables first - Put new ones on since the battery is new.

If that does not solve the problem, then run a voltage check on your rectifier insure its putting out appx 6 volts. If that is not working then check further back in the electrical system, but I believe your problem is the corroded cables, ensure your battery is full.

Furthe back meaning stator or magnetos, with 20 hours it should be OK.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.............I ended up taking the ski into the local Yamaha dealer

He said the motor siezed up.

WTF???

How can that be?? I've had the #2 cylander rebuilt twice in the last year, now the motor is siezed??

Seems like quite a coincidence that my electrical system failed, then the motor went.............

I'm going for another opinion, will let you know

Comment

Working...
        X