1998 Yamaha XL1200 starter just clicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Yamaha XL1200 starter just clicks

I just got my new SBT Premium Non-PV motor and had my local watercraft repair shop install the motor. Everything was followed using the Yamaha Service Manual. The motor tried to turn over normally. Held the starter for 10 second intervals on and off trying to get it started. Tried with choke off and choke on. It wouldn't start. So I premixed some fuel, 50:1 Ratio with 91 octane gas and poured about a tablespoon in each carburetor. The motor fired up for a couple seconds until that fuel was gone. Then I went to hit the starter again to start normally and now the starter just clicks. It's not even trying to turn the motor at all. You hit it and it sounds like the solenoid is just clickin on and off. It only clicks one time when you hit the button and then stops. Took the starter out to make sure it was working. Hooked it up to a battery and it spins totally fine. Took the fly wheel cover off and the flywheel moves freely and you can move the pistons up and down without the spark plugs in, the gears are well greased and the spring works on the starter. The fuse is not blown on the starter power lead wire. I'm at a loss. Any ideas??? SBT techs any ideas???

Re: 1998 Yamaha XL1200 starter just clicks

Ok got it to work this morning, after taking the starter out and letting it spin freely, I installed it back into the watercraft and now it is turning over normally. However, the starter grounding bolt has stripped out of the motor. The threads are completely gone. Has anyone had this problem with SBT motors?? SBT THIS IS THE 3RD BOLT TO STRIP OUT! MAYBE YOUR SAND BLASTING THE BOLT HOLES OR SOMETHING FOR POWDER COATING BUT MAN THIS IS A PAIN IN THE REAR.

Now I'm on the lookout for a slightly longer bolt to fit the same hole. Anyone know if there are more threads beyond where the stock bolt reaches?

Comment

Yes I found there are about 2-3 mm more of threads past where the stock bolt reaches. Found a longer stainless bolt and good to go. Took it to the lake this weekend and ran beautifully for 30 minutes before the impeller got so bent that it was scraping on the insides of the metal tube it sits in. Now I have to get a new impeller. Has this every happened to somebody else?? Impeller just so tweaked it jams itself up?

Comment

Sounds like the pump bearings have failed.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Not sure if it was the pump bearings, Took the exhaust out and found that the rubber damper between the motor and the impeller drive shaft disintegrated and the metal teeth slammed into each other and broke apart. I spoke with an SBT tech and he said I need to adjust the shims and realign the new teeth together. The teeth were with spec of 0-1 mm apart. I can't get it any closer. Man these 1200s are a pain.

Comment

Ok got the exhaust off so I could get to the impeller drive shaft. The main drive off the rear of the motor disintegrated the rubber damper and then slammed into the impeller drive and ripped itself in half. So now the motor spins freely independent of the rear impeller. I have to replace both teeth that connect to each other and the rubber damper. Fortunately the CA warehouse has 2 in stock. My teeth were within spec of 0-1 MM of each other. I'm wondering if heating it up to get it off the old motor weakened the metal integrity. Looks like I'm going to have to really check and adjust the shims to make sure they come as close as possible.

Comment

Working...
            X