Idle Adjustment Yamaha 1200 PV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Adjustment Yamaha 1200 PV

Yamaha 1200 PV motor w/ stock Mikuni carbs. Motor idles right around 1000 rpm. When I turn the adjuster no response is noticeable at first then it goes to about 3000+ rpms. Just rebuilt the carbs, took it for a water test passed w/ flying colors except for the idle speed. Took the carbs back out, disassembled them to see if anything was incorrect, but it all looked good. Reassembled only to have the same problem. Any ideas? As you know the whole exhaust system has to come off to get to these carbs so adjusting them while running is difficult. These carbs also have sealed high & low speed adjustment screws which some mechanics drill out to adjust. I have'nt had to do that yet as all the carbs that I've rebuilt have worked out well. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Aloha, Mel @ North Shore Watercraft Service.
    Last edited by meleho808; 10-21-2009, 05:02 AM.

Re: Idle Adjustment Yamaha 1200 PV

If your pop-off pressure is too low you could be flooding at idle, what are you set at for pop-off?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I did'nt set the pop off this time. Installed a new 1.2 N+S with the silver spring that came w/ the carb kit.

Comment

Check your pop-off
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Will do. Thanks. Stock motor...55-60 lbs what I'm looking for?
          Last edited by meleho808; 10-21-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Turns out the low speed screws had been screwed in all the way & covered w/ old grease so I assumed they were still factory set. Backed them out to specs & changed the silver spring that came w/ the Mikuni kit w/ the gold spring. Started right up, adjusted the idle & got a snappy throttle response. Thank for your input & ideas.

Comment

Working...
            X