Security problem & Start button does nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security problem & Start button does nothing

Will not transition between locked and unlocked without disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery. When this problem first showed up, the Waverunner would still start as long as it was unlocked. Now, the start button does not start the Waverunner.

The brown wire to the starter relay gets +12V when you press the start button whether the waverunner is locked or unlocked.

The black wire to the starter relay does not get ground when you press the start button whether the Waverunner is locked or unlocked. This wire comes from the receiver for the security.

Starter and Starter Relay tested and work fine.
    Engine cranked and ran fine before start button quit working.

If I manually activate the starter relay, the Waverunner runs fine, but the engine warning and oil lights are displayed.
    Last edited by wilsowm; 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM.

Re: Security problem & Start button does nothing

There is more than likely an issue with the gauge, but not positive, bring it to the dealer other wise you might end up replacing costly parts and not solve the problem.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Please post when you solve the problem. Thanks.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You need to add what model ski it is, but do the following, remove the connectors and just connect the two following connectors brown and red and black and white engine harness to kill switch bypass the gauge and test, if it work your gauge is bad if problems continues most likely your start stop switch is bad.

Comment

The model is 2005 Yamaha FX HO. It has been in the shop for 3.5 months!!! They are now trying the security receiver. I have not idea what they have tried so far, but they say that the techs they use @ Yamaha are stumped. I would have picked it up and tried another dealer, but it's at the very end of its extended warranty. I would try the gauge exercise you suggested and/or I might suggest it to the dealer if they can't fix it. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Yamaha Dealer Solution:

The dealer replaced 2 major electronic components to fix the problem.

1st the Security Receiver (RECIVER COMP) was replaced. This worked, but periodically the battery had to be disconnected to get the Waverunner to transition between Locked and Unlocked.

2nd the ECU (ENGINE CONTROL UNIT ASSY) was replaced.

I am picking it up this weekend so I’ll post again if I have any further trouble.

Comment

Re: Yamaha Dealer Solution:

After replacing the ECU the security works fine, BUT I am now having a new problem.

When running at full throttle, the Waverunner will top out at 9,000 RPM for few minutes and then jumps to 10,000 RPM for a few minutes. ...then it goes back and forth between 9,000 and 10,000 RPM every few minutes. It runs smoothly at either of these RPM.

There is a difference in the sound of the engine when it is limited to 9,000 RPM. It sounds more muffled. Even when riding at much lower RPM you can hear the engine transition between muffled sounding and regular sounding every few minutes.

It also will not idle smoothly. It shuts off at low RPM.
              It ran perfectly before the ECU was replaced.

Comment

Re: Yamaha Dealer Solution:

The idle problem and strange RPM issue ended up being resolved with new plugs. FINALLY my waverunner runs like new again! I used NGK CR8EB instead of CR9EB based on some advice about fouling plugs and so far so good.

Comment

Working...
                X