1200R Piston Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1200R Piston Failure

I holed a piston on my 1200 power valve engine b/c of a lean carb, so did a complete rebuild with an SBT cylinder kit (cylinders, piston, etc) and new crankshaft. Broke it in carefully per instructions, and it ran great and had great compression.

After just 2-3 tanks of gas, I flooded the ski completely (fresh water). Pumped it out, and not knowing that I should remove the plugs, cranked it until it started. It did, and ran ok, but went rapidly downhill for the next 30 minutes. Compression became 101/128/116. Pulled the top end, and found the below damage on pistons 1&3. All oil lines were connected.

Does this look consistent with damage from cranking a flooded engine? #1 looks like chipped edges of the piston, but rings are ok. #3 has similar chips/scrapes on back edge, but the photo shows the front section that looks like the top ring was ripped upward. It's suspicious that this happened right next to the power valve, but there are no marks on the valve, and I have waveater clips installed to make sure they don't contact the piston.

Thoughts? I see no corrosion, even a nice coat of oil still on the crankshaft and case. So I'd like to do another top-end rebuild, but am leery that I don't know what caused this...
    Attached Files

Re: 1200R Piston Failure

Water can cause alot of damage in side the engine even if it is pumped out, it can cause seal failure and piston scoring
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X