1999 Yamaha 1200 XL Ltd Bogs down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha 1200 XL Ltd Bogs down

Last August, I had a SBT replacement engine put into the ski. I broke it in per instructions, Then put it up for the winter.

Now when I run, it starts fine, runs normal, i.e. normal acceleration, runs about 6500 rpm full throttle, for about 15-20 minutes. After that, I can feel it bog down. I can go to idle, accelerate normally, but when the tach hits about 6500 rpm, it it bogs down to about 4500. If I keep it at wot, I will feel the power surge back, then bog, surge, then bog.

This is a stock ski, with the only modification, is the mechanic that installed the SBT engine, removed the catalytic converter and installed a sensor chip. (package description is Sensor Chip D-Plate)

I have checked the water separator, and there is nothing in it.

Any ideas ?
    Last edited by jlilly; 05-31-2010, 01:22 PM.

Re: 1999 Yamaha 1200 XL Ltd Bogs down

Sounds like its running out of fuel
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Check the fuel filter & all the fuel lines it may have some varnish in the line with this not so good fuel were getting now days. Remove the lines one by one and blow thru them with compressed air, the problem may be anywhere between the carbs and fuel selector valve. I also add seafoam to mine and run them before storage.
      Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I will try what you suggested

Comment

Did you ever figure out what is wrong. I have 02 1200 xlt pv doing same thing. The adm said it sounds like running out of gas which I relate to. I've been thru all lines, new filter, etc and still the same. Advise me what you did. Thanks

Comment

I just replaced the filter on mine. there wasn't much "trash" in it at all, but once I replaced it, the ski ran fine. Sounds like you have already done that, though

Comment

Working...
            X