XL 800 2001 Locks Up...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL 800 2001 Locks Up...??

Have a 2001 XL800 that will turn over to a point then locks ups when trying to crank ski. I took the intake grate off and could turn the impellar shaft to a point then it would lock up. I can turn it in the opposite direction and it gets the the same pint and locks up. Anyone have any ideas? Is the engine shot or could there be a problem in the drive line?
    Thanks for any help or advise!
    Keith

Re: XL 800 2001 Locks Up...??

I used to have one like this. I couldn't turn it by hand , but the starter was strong enough to power past it. You could try and take the impeller off and then see if the engine turns over or not. That will tell you if it is the impeller or the engine. In my case the impeller was bent. Do you see any damage to the impeller area?

Did you do a compression check. Might not be able to unless it turns completely over, but the pistions might be hitting the valves.

Could be lots of things. If you take all the plugs out it should turn over easy by hand.

Just be careful sticking your hand in there - disconnect the battery and make sure the kill switch is engaged.

Comment

Re: XL 800 2001 Locks Up...??

Can't do compression test, want turn all the way over. Will take a second look at the impeller. Thanks for the info.
      Keith

Comment

Working...
      X