Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 XL800 Running on only one cylinder - spark good, looks like no fuel flowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 XL800 Running on only one cylinder - spark good, looks like no fuel flowing

My 2000 XL800 is running poorly. It runs in the driveway, but won't get up to speed in the water. It's running on only one cylinder - the aft one. I know this because the brand new spark plugs show firing on cylinder 2, but cylinder 1 is clean and white.

This ski sank in salt water last year and hasn't run right since. I followed the manufacturer instructions after this event (evacuate water from the cylinders, spray goop in the intake, etc.) but I'm now left with an issue - one that may have been building all along. FYI, this symptom happened one time before it sank, but myteriously dissappeared on its own.

I know I've got a good spark (observed arch to crank case), and I've even had the wires replaced in the coil assembly to be sure. When I shoot starter fluid into the carb of the non-firing side while it's running on one cylinder, I can hear the second cylinder fire. So I'm guessing it's a fuel supply problem or carb problem on that cylinder. I've run a bunch of cleaner/fluids through it with no success (e.g. "Sea Foam").

The gas and oil has all been completely drained and replaced with fresh, good stuff.

Should I just take the carb off and explore, or is there anything else I can do before doing that? Other suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Re: 2000 XL800 Running on only one cylinder - spark good, looks like no fuel flowing

Your issue is in the carb, take it apart and re-build it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X