Options available for #3 piston failure: 65U, non-pv, 1200cc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options available for #3 piston failure: 65U, non-pv, 1200cc

2000 yamaha suv with common issue of #3 oil injection line falling off. Pulled cylinder head and #3 piston/cylinder ruined. compression checks for cylinder 1 and 2 are 120, 118 psi respectively. It seems there are many traps with trying to fix this one cylinder. Obviously, the crank would have to be inspected for problems by splitting the case. I also know the prudent thing to do would be to get another short block engine, however, I am trying to learn some new things with these engines so I'm looking for options. Money is really not an issue, however, it's not learning anything. Here is the way I see it:
    1. Either find a used OEM cylinder for around 325-350 bucks and buy an OEM piston. This assume the crank shaft is good (of which I don't really know what to look for). If this method is done though the 5-10% of psi compression difference may be exceeded. I am unaware of what a good cylinder with a new OEM piston would test out at in reference to psi.
    2. Buy a sleeve from SBT for the #3 cylinder with a SBT piston. People have told me if I go this route though I will have to resleeve all 3 since the other two pistons are nikasil.
    3. Buy a 695 buck complete top end from SBT. Dunno how hard this is to reinstall and what needs to be done in order to balance anything out with the crankshaft.
    4. Obviously, buy a SBT reman engine and forget about it.

I seems there are many traps that can end up costing you more money in the end if you do options 1,2 or 3. The 250 dollar difference between a new cylinder exchange and a new reman engine seems small to avoid problems later. What am I missing? Need advice.

Re: Options available for #3 piston failure: 65U, non-pv, 1200cc

If you have the time and the mechanical ability, taking everything apart and inspecting the crank for damage then re-sealing everything and installing a new cylinder or top end can be a good option. If you feel this is above your mechanical ability to go this far into the engine then we can provide you with a complete short block.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X