1994 Waverunner III 701 WRA700S CDI Interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Waverunner III 701 WRA700S CDI Interchange

I have the aforementioned waverunner...a 1994 Waverunner III WRA700S....Last summer my Ski started acting up and would not rev up..I rebuilt the carb and it had no effect...so I started checking things..I suspected Cdi box started might also be acting up and my ski would not rev up at all.....The engine would not rev. and it acted as if it came up against a rev limiter...I verified that it wasn't the kill switch grounding out and also that the Temp switch wasn't grounding out (disconnected it and verified that it didn't have continuity) and checked engine with it disconnect...I checked my stator plate and it was all within' published service manual specs...when I checked the CDI box it was out of spec ...The kill wires which should should have continuity in only one direction had it in both..and everything was way out of spec...Anyway...My question is this... I noticed that acording to my yamaha manual is should have a 61X-85540-00-00 cdi unit...and mine currently has a 6M6-85540-01-00 unit instead...This is the CDI unit that it is showing for models with 650 engines..I double checked my engine tag and verified that it was a 700 engine...So my question is this....Are these units interchangable...and if so what is the differences? and also...Which one is correct for my model and year of Waverunner. I didn't know if one of these boxes had a different timing curve or different Rev. limit or exactly why it had a different cdi unit than was specified...Not sure what the difference was in these cdi boxes.

Re: 1994 Waverunner III 701 WRA700S CDI Interchange

Both cdi's will work fine with your engine, I could not tell you what the differences are, most of the time it would be the timing curve but I don't know for sure. A bad cdi can cause the issue you are having.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

yes..I am trying to figure out what the differences our in these two different CDI units....they obviously interchange as the one that was in the ski was not the one that belonged...and it ran good. Just wondering if I would notice any difference if I replaced it with the correct unit.

Comment

The rev-limiter may be set higher or lower, that's about the only thing I can think of.

Comment

Does SBT sell CDI boxes? If not does anyone run aftermarket Cdi boxes... This is a completely stock lake whale that I pull the kids on a tube with...I have been searching online for the best buy and seen some aftermarket units that carry the name Arieltek or Arieltex.. Just wondering if anyone had heard of them or had any experience with them... The are about half the cost of a oem yamaha unit.. I am leary to purchase a used unit since most of them I've seen on ebay are bringing about 2/3 the cost of a new one....

Comment

SBT doesnot sell cdi box's. You always take a chance on used electronics, search on pwctoday.com and see what others have to say about the aftermarket units.

Comment

I have today off....and my waverunner parts should be delivered today... I ended up ordering a new aftermarket parts from Dennis Kirk. I think the cdi box was listed as a WSM brand...and was pictured as having a blue cases which would indicate that it is an Arieltex unit....i know nothing about them but they were about half price of a new OEM..... I also got a new ignition coil and new sparkplug caps....and since I rebuilt the carb at the end of last summer (as the first step in trouble shooting my problem)....I also order one of the trail tech..inductive pickup type tachs to set my no load idle speed and hopefully this will help me see a little bit better what's going on......Also got a new fuel filter coming....which listed it also as a water seperator (which I didn't know it was water seperator but good to know). Any ways....It's been a while since I've been online and I thought I would jump on a search the forums for new knowledge while I wait....I've got tons of SBT parts on my other ski's and so do all my friends....We've all been very happy with the SBT parts lines that are carried....If SBT had carried CDI boxes I would have ordered one here. Hopefully these parts will end my headaches....stay tuned and I will let everyone know in a couple weeks.

Comment

Working...
              X