Crankshaft difference 1100 Vs 1200 - Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft difference 1100 Vs 1200 - Bearings

Worken on my rebuild and the crank I have is from a 97 GP1200 65 U and i have a 63 U 1100 case---- Looks like Everything is the same but the front bearing is different 1100 had a wide one and on the 65U they have one bearing and aluminum spacer? Was there an issue with the wide bearings this was the fix? I t looks like both stack up to the same length- The 65U crank is in real good shape and need to use this one for the rebuild-- I have the crank from the 1100 and the front bearing looks good --
    Question
    Should I take and have the bearings swapped out or do I just add a dowel to the case were needs to be to hold the 65U bearing?
    I assume you have to go to a crankshop to have them swap out I believe they are pressed on and probably need special equipment

Thanks

Re: Crankshaft difference 1100 Vs 1200 - Bearings

I would change the bearing out, any machine shop should be able to help change it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks,
      So is the bearing on M63 a better set up then the M65?
      Is there a reason why Yamaha would change the bearing style- from one bearing to a bearing with a alumimum spacer?

Comment

I don’t know why Yamaha uses different front bearings on the 2 cranks, but I guess you should stick with the configuration that your engine would normally use even know you probably would not have any issues going the other way. ( just my own opinion )
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks,
          I will have to check and see about swapping and put the 1100 bearing on - Just concerned of swaping any damage due to it needs to be pulled from one and put on the other

Comment

Working...
          X