Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little help figuring out wiring.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help figuring out wiring.....

Right now, I am in the process of installing a new engine in my Dura-Craft jetboat. The previous engine was a Tigershark 1000, but I am replacing it with a '06 Yamaha FX HO engine.

I've got my engine mounts and everything else fabricated, and I'm about to start on routing my hoses, control cables, and wiring.

But I need some help. I have a Clymer repair manual for this engine, as well as a Yamaha manual I downloaded, and yet, I'm still confused about thew wiring.

As the engine sits in the boat right now, I have 4 different sets of wires to hook up. One set is a 2-wire configuration, with blue and black. I know that this one goes to my fuel pump.

There is another 2 wire plug, with a black wire, with an orange stripe, and a blue wire with a red stripe. Not sure what this does?

There is a 3 wire plug, with a white with black stripe, a black with orange stripe, and a red with yellow stripe. As best as I can determine from the manual, this says it goes to a multifunction meter.

And finally, there is a 10 wire plug, and the manual does not show this plug configuration at all. The wires are as follows:

Green, brown, red, red w/yellow stripe, black, white, black w/orange stripe, pink w/white stripe, pink w/black stripe, and a blue w/white stripe.

As best as I can determine so far, the stop switch is comprised of the white and black wires. The kill switch uses the black, white, red, and brown wires. The starter switch uses the brown and red.

I also have the tachometer for the Yamaha HO engine, and I want to use that, and have it wired correctly for the oil and temp sensors.

I definitely need some help figuring this out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Re: Need a little help figuring out wiring.....

The 10 wire plug should be from the harness to the throttle body/ fuel injection system mounted under the air intake, you should have a wiring diagram if you down loaded the factory manual, there are different wire harness set ups for different yrs so make sure you have the correct yr otherwise the wire colors may change.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm still in a bit of a quandary though.

As best as I can tell, the wires on this plug are:

Green- Tachometer
      Brown- Starter
      Red- Kill switch
      White- Kill & stop switch
      Black with orange stripe- Ignition
      Pink with white stripe- Oil Pressure sensor

Red with yellow stripe- Bilge pump positive
      Black- Bilge pump negative

There are 2 wires that my diagram does NOT show in either manual. One is a pink wire with a black stripe. The other is a blue wire with a white stripe.

Also, there is another 2 wire plug that has a black wire with an orange stripe, and a blue wire with a red stripe, still haven't figured these out.

The diagram gives me a headache to look at...LOL, you about have to be a brain surgeon to understand it. Especially when it doesn't show wires that are in the wiring harness.

I wish it was more simplified with an easier explanation for dummies!

Comment

Here are some photos of the plugs I mentioned:

3 plugs with wires:

2 and 3 pin plugs:

10 pin plug:

I'm sure there is a harness that connects this to the instrument panel, but as long as I can figure out the color coding of these wires, that solves my issue.

Again, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me at this point, because I'm at a loss to figure it out.

Comment

The harness that we use on our dyno dont have the same colors as yours does, I'm not sure about your wiring.

Comment

Do you think obtaining the secondary harness would help me figure it out? That's what I'm thinking. I should be able to trace the wiring back from the ends of the secondary harness to the corresponding wire color on this pigtail. What do you think?

Comment

Give it a try

Comment

Working...
              X