07 FX HO Engine into 05 FX Hull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 FX HO Engine into 05 FX Hull

I have a blown motor in a 05 FX HO. It is totally detroyed - dropped a valve, ate up piston and head, broke a rod which busted the case and oil pan. I already had my repair facility submit pictures to SBT. Bottom line is I don't have a core.

Anyway, I have located a wrecked FX HO. I know that the engine itself will swap in. I also know that the ECU's for each year carry a different part number. Will the 05 ECU correctly control the 07 engine? A PWC dismanteller/salvage guy told me it would be best to switch out the ECU and wiring harness with the engine swap. Does this sound correct to those who work on these skis?

Thanks for your time.
    - Bill

Re: 07 FX HO Engine into 05 FX Hull

Somethings do change in wiring so get the harness just incase you need it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

you could try this if you want to take the time and cross reference a few items:

look at Boats.net - New and Used Boats for Sale, Outboard Boat Motors, and Discount Outboard Boat Parts they are an OEM yamaha parts sales/supplier, click on waverunner, click on your years of interest, and look at the similarities and or differences in sensors, sensor mounting locations, any additional sensors that might be on the newer engine.
      If you don`t see anything that jumps out at ya, try and read the technical specs for each engine, example> compression ratio`s.
      The newer engine could have a different ratio, different cam profile, etc thus requiring the 07 ECU to accommodate those changes.

BUT, if the engine is mechanically the same, and all the sensors are still in their respective locations, you could simply swap in your sensors from the 05 if they have the same thread/bolt patterns as the 07... a little bit of reading could def make this happen for ya!

you might be even able to use your TB`s, TPS< etc etc to simplfy your install.
      If the salvage yard is selling the whole wiring and ecu for just a few more $$, then also check over the hull/engine and get any other sensor that would need to work with the 07 system...

Good luck, let us know how this works out for ya...
      1998 SeaDoo Challenger 1800

sigpic

Comment

I have aquired a wrecked 06 FX HO and have done some research on HLSM.com looking at their parts lists and exploded views for each year of ski. I tracked down all (I think) of the sensors on the engines and the only different part number I found was different was the actual ECU. I think that I can swap the engine and ECU from the 06 into the 05 and be good to go.

Do these machines utilize a crank position sensor? I couldn't find one listed for either motor.
        Thanks for your time.

-Bill

Comment

They use cam sensors
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X