2001 GP1200R Cat Destroyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 GP1200R Cat Destroyed

So this 2001 Waverunner pretty much ran like a pig so we planned on checking out the carbs and installing a D plate while we have everything apart. I have never seen one this bad, it basically fell apart to pieces when I took it out. My question is since this cat seems to be missing several large chunks do I need to take apart the rest of the exiting exhaust system and check for debris or does most that stuff flush out itself??
    Attached Files

Re: 2001 GP1200R Cat Destroyed

some smaller pieces may have been washed away, but it is better to be safe than sorry later. Might as well remove the water box and shake it around and see if there are any pieces of the cat inside... it is also a good idea to check all the hoses and clamps at this time. any debris going thru could possibly cut the inside of the exhaust hose... good luck, it is not that difficult of a job. make reference marks, or get a shop manual for the proper alignment of the sound suppression, exhaust outlet hoses...
    1998 SeaDoo Challenger 1800

sigpic

Comment

just had a closer look at the pics, that is very common with these cats. if you think there are pieces missing then have a closer look and check all the hoses...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input PR, I will take it apart further and see what I find. Sounds like these cats ended up being a very poor design?? Hopefully they have fixed the issue with their newer skis...

Comment

Originally posted by ba22andy View Post
          Thanks for the input PR, I will take it apart further and see what I find. Sounds like these cats ended up being a very poor design?? Hopefully they have fixed the issue with their newer skis...
          Your Welcome! The cat can last a long time or not even 30 hours. it all depends on use, condidtions, oil type etc, it`s just one of those things they implemented here in the states... The Euro models don`t have them, they have a factory D plate, that`s how this whole D plate thing started and came from and R&D, Riva capitalized on it for "race only" and of course when the cats fail no one spends that kind of coin on a new cat...

hope all is clear, and you get your machine running smoothly again... good luck!

sigpic

Comment

So we removed the water box and checked for debris, none found. Put everything back together and crossed our fingers. Took the ski out and it still seems "gutless" and only pulls 47 mph...I'm gonna check out of few things but with my experience in 2-strokes I can almost bet that I should have rebuilt the carbs when I had the exhaust out. Let the troubleshooting begin!

Comment

Working...
            X