Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 XLT1200 - need help diagnosing problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 XLT1200 - need help diagnosing problem.

I have a 2001 XLT1200 (PV) motor with about 50 hours on it. When the motor had about 20 hours I installed a D-Plate, Exhaust Temperature resistor, Waveeater PV Clips and sealed the pump. I run stabilized fuel all the time and it still has factory oil injection.
    Last week, I was out and ski ran fine for about 5-minutes. Then the Exhaust Temp alarm sounded and the ski bogged down at high-speed. I cleared the alarm and checked for blockage. All looked good. The alarm never sounded again but I could no longer accelerate past idle. If I didn’t feather the gas (or choke) it would stall. When it was on the trailer it had no problem reaching high-RPMs.
    My first question, how can the exhaust temp alarm go on when the sensor is no longer connected?
    I checked the compression and all 3 cylinders and they all reported 110. I figured it is time to rebuild the carbs, but I want to make sure that I’m not missing the obvious. The carbs have never been rebuilt.
    This weekend, I pulled the stinger and the carbs and I need to order kits. I think they are 44-I – right? What gaskets do I need?
    While I’m in there, should I replace the reeds, etc? Should I go pre-mix? I'm interested in keeping the ski stock.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Re: 2001 XLT1200 - need help diagnosing problem.

Yes, they are 44 I carbs, you will need flame arrester gaskets and carb base gaskets if you’re rebuilding all 3 carbs.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
      Yes, they are 44 I carbs, you will need flame arrester gaskets and carb base gaskets if you’re rebuilding all 3 carbs.
      Thank you!! I will be placing an order shortly.

Any additional feedback on the other questions?

Comment

Keep the ski stock and only replace the reeds if they need to be replaced. Pre-mix can be a good idea with yamahas, they tend to pop the oil lines off and then you burn up a cylinder.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I have the identical ski to yours. I have not had the alarm you have had but the rest of your symptoms having to do with bogging down, not running over idle, unless choking, but running to hi rpms on trailer are the same. If you rebuilt your carbs, did that solve problem? How about the fuel booster? Did you rebuild that? Or what, if any solved your running problem. Thanks---

Comment

Originally posted by leepat60 View Post
            I have the identical ski to yours. I have not had the alarm you have had but the rest of your symptoms having to do with bogging down, not running over idle, unless choking, but running to hi rpms on trailer are the same. If you rebuilt your carbs, did that solve problem? How about the fuel booster? Did you rebuild that? Or what, if any solved your running problem. Thanks---
            Unfortunately, I only got the carbs rebuilt in time to winterize the ski.

I can tell you this, they weren't too bad, but bad enough to cause the behavior I had. In particular, the internal filters were full of silt. Next time I rebuild the carbs, I will probably remove them. I have a 10 micron fuel filter on the ski.

Not sure what you mean about the fuel booster - do you mean the accelerator pump?

Regarding the alarm, no one on this board has been able to help me with that part of my symptoms.

Either way, in my case it didn't hurt to rebuild them and I have confidence that it will fix my issue.

I also kept the oil-injection and replaced the carb oil lines with Oetiker clamps.

Sorry I can't help any further this time of the year. In the spring I can follow-up.

Comment

Working...
            X