Newbie: 2000 GP1200R Electrical Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie: 2000 GP1200R Electrical Assistance

I just did an engine swap with a (new) SBT engine. Got it all put back together over the weekend and trying to start it for the first time. I'm getting the overhead sensor/warning. It appears to be the overheat warning 2 since the buzzer is continous. From what I read in the service manual, this will prevent the engine from starting.

The question is which sensor is the issue here? Is it the high one in the exhaust right on top, or the one down low at the rear of the exhaust system?

Some history: I had a d-plate installed many years ago - no problem. I see in the plastic connector for the sensor on the top of the exhaust where it looks like there is a jumper wire from one wire to the other one - Is this normal and was done when the d-plate was installed? Is that to bypass that sensor all together?

More history: I accidentally cut both wires to the sensor down low trying to get the exhaust pipe out. Can I do the same thing (connect the two wires) to bypass that sensor until I can get a new sensor?

I'm thinking I just need to buy new sensors - I'm sure they are expensive. Some direction please. And Thank You!

Re: Newbie: 2000 GP1200R Electrical Assistance

UPDATE: Got it nailed. The lower sensor on the rear was the problem. I spliced the wires together with "real" electrical connectors over just twisting them together and this new SBT engine fired right up.

I'll check compression and run it on a hose for a little while this afternoon, then launch it this weekend for some break-in time. Probably the last time out up here in Missouri this year.

Comment

Working...
    X