2004 FX140 First Time Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 FX140 First Time Out

Hey All, its been a while since I have been on these forums but I have run in to an issue I can't figure out. I recently bought a 2004 FX140 from an older guy who only put 40 hours on the ski (1 owner). The ski is in show room condition so I felt good about buying used. I have been around these skis before and very familiar with the MR1 engine since I had an SX230 jetboat.

Today I changed the oil and cleaned and checked the ski. I wanted to take it on a quick test ride after de-winterizing so I could burn off the fogging oil and change the plugs. I took it to the lake and fired it up out of water just to be sure it was good to go. Sounded great! So we put it in the water and I fired it up again and sounded just fine. I got it off the trailer after warming up for 5 minutes. I then idled out of the no-wake zone and started to give it just a little throttle. Here is where the fun starts...

What I heard was the motor reving up but the whole ski started to shutter and had NO power. The rooster tail had a lot of pressure but it was almost as if the pump wasn't getting any pressure out of the pump. I immediately took it back to the ramp and loaded it on the trailer. I got it out of the water and fired it up, sounded just fine. For some reason when the pump is under a load its like the power isn't getting to the pump.

Ideas??

Thanks in advanced!
    "I feel the need, the need, for SPEED!"

Re: 2004 FX140 First Time Out

Drive shaft splines may be trashed going into the coupler shaft or coupler shaft is trashed internally. Pull the pump and inspect the drive shaft and look inside the coupler shaft.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Does a fouled plug seem like a cause? I pulled a plug and since I was de-winterizing the ski I left the old plugs in the ski so I would change them after the forst 30 minutes or so of riding. Didnt want to take the chance that I was fouling out my new plugs. Would the ski really run ok out of the water but then under load run horrible. I could have sworn this was a driveline issue like you said but the guy who winterized it last thinks its the plugs. Thoughts?

Comment

I wanted to post that the solution was indeed the plugs. I am still not certain why the fouled plugs seemed to run just fine out of the water but once I changed the plugs and tested again in water the ski ran great.

Comment

When the engine doesn't have a load on it then its harder to hear a miss, put it under load and it shows up more clear.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X