Yamaha Diagnostic code 24 Cam position sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Diagnostic code 24 Cam position sensor

So I get my remanufactured engine for my 2006 Yamaha VX110 Waverunner and installed it.

After running for a few seconds I got and engine trouble code. After checking everything out and getting the code again I pushed the button on the information display for about 8 seconds and got a code 24.

I looked in the manual and all over the internet and couldnt fine out what a code 24 was. So I got a Yamaha Diagnostic system and hooked that up. It turns out that the code 24 refers to trouble with the cam position sensor. It said irratic signal.

So I tested the voltage and got 5 volts like it's supposed to, and then swapped the sensor out with one off of another unit that I know works. Still got the same code. So I checked my computer connections and they were clean.

Then I began thinking about what would make a magnetic sensor not work right. Could be clearance tolerances. Looking at the top of the valve cover I noticed that the machining on the new engine looked different than the old one. I grabbed my dial calipers and used the depth gauge and found that the new valve cover was .06 inches deeper than the old one. So the end of the sensor is .06 inches further from the lobe of the cam as it goes by. That didn't seem like a big enough of difference to me but I decided to test it out anyway. I installed the cam sensor on my other Waverunner spaced .06 inches further out and started it up.

Beep! Code 24! I guess that .o6 inches is a big enough difference to cause problems.
    Last edited by Singularity; 05-03-2012, 08:55 PM.

Re: Yamaha Diagnostic code 24 Cam position sensor

Yes it make a big difference, in most cases filing down the mounting surface will fix the issue instantly, if this is one of our motors contact us so we can assist with the issue.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X