99 suv carb/elec issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 suv carb/elec issues?

Just installed s/b in this ski. Took it out last weekend and it ran ok for break in. Now, the ski will not get up on plane, as if starving for fuel. I have rebuilt the carbs (pop off in spec) and all seems to be ok. I isolated each carb outlet with a fuel line from each outlet into a catch tank. In all my (limited) experience, the fuel pumps should be putting out "gushes" of fuel. All three pumps barely push the fuel up the lines and trickle out into the can. Wondering if I should gut/cap sbn carb pumps and install remote pumps ones like I used to on the polaris ski's. Thoughts?
    This is the 2nd s/b I have installed in this ski for lean condition. The last one I assumed had failed because of the pto seal came out and took a ride on the crank snout.
    Anyone know if these yamahas have the same old probs the polaris' models had with poor fuel pumping and/or electrical probs with wires/boots?
    FYI: CHECKED COMP AFTER PROB OCCURED 115ish on all three

Re: 99 suv carb/elec issues?

Run a fuel line directly from the tank to the carbs, see if you get better fuel delivery also what did you set the pop-off to?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

40 ish is what I "think" it is. I know stock is around 50. My old guage is a lit sketchy, so I ordered another today. I'll report when it comes in.

Comment

Ok sounds good, shoot for 50 to 55

Comment

Lil side note while I'm waiting on new guage...... I checked the inline primer bulb. It seems to be working fine. No leaks detected and seems to pump up fuel nicely.
          Cooooommmmeee Onnnnn UPS!

Comment

Got the new guage. Once I got fuel pump to stop leaking air,...... I got over 60 pds before needle popped off. Changed to "copper" spring and no difference. Put in weaker of the two springs in the kit and got 40. Broad disparity.

Comment

Does it run any different?

Comment

Haven't tried it yet; carbs still on work bench. Worked with springs til I settled for 50. Gonna work with the other 2 today at the shop when i can. Trip to the river is iffy this weekend, atm.

Comment

Went back through carbs. All is good, pop off, ect. New motor still runs like crap. Plugs are getting fuel. Only thing so far I haven't checked is the resistor caps.
                  If that don't do it.. binary explosives are next.

Comment

The above repairs did the trick. Thanks

Comment

What was it? . . Pop off too low?.. On my 99 PV motor, 50psi was way too low. set it to 75psi and it runs good. (IDK what the n/s sizes are - stock) My 99 Non-Pv motor 50psi seems to be the magic number.

Comment

All three initially were over 65 psi. I changed springs and messaged all three to around 55ish. I also modified the carbs fuel delivery to be synchronous pressure regulated per Bill's modification (O'SIDE BILL). Runs very well.

Comment

Working...
                        X