yamaha gp 1200 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha gp 1200 question

Anyone know where to get a new or used flywheel the gears on mine are broken. Does sbt sell them? also can the gears be replaced or is the whole unit shot

Re: yamaha gp 1200 question

Call 1 of the salvage yards we have listed at the bottom of the main web page.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

found one on ebay thankfully, I just placed an order for a new sbt engine waiting for it to come in. In the mean time what is the recommended fuel octane to run threw the new motor is 87 octane frowned upon or should it be ok.

Comment

87 is ok but 91 and up will let the engine run cooler.

Comment

Make sure to do the #1 most recommended mod. ELIMINATE THE OIL PUMP and go with a pre-mix. SBT sells the block off kit. If you can get ethanol free gasoline, that is a definite plus. The marinas where I ride carry 89 octane ethanol free gas. It's over $4 a gallon but worth it. There are many different opinions on the pre-mix ratio. Yamaha recommends 32:1. I have been running 40:1 ok but am on my second engine. Think I'll try 35:1. Use good oil such as YamLube or Amsoil. DO NOT use the crap they sell at Walmart. Inspect your plugs after every 4-5 hours of ride time.

Comment

Well the sbt we putting in the first ski has already been switched to premix, how many hours did you have on the skis before your first sbt went also i saw your post on bout the skis having the same hole did you ever find the root cause of the problem that made the engine go.

Comment

Unfortunately no, never found the cause of the failure. I could not do a leak-down test b/c of the hole in the case. I feel it may be related
              to fuel delivery and am planning to modify the stock feed into a dual-parallel feed. I will also install a new set of reeds as these are only good for a few years of use. I also plan to change my pre-mix ratio from 40:1 to 35:1 and use premium 2-cycle oil (such as Yamlube or Amsoil). I got 3.5 years and 100 hours out of the last engine. Will try to make the next one last longer. Good thing I'm becoming a master of the GP1200R, we ride the hell out of these things.

Question: Which came first, the hole or the fractured piston?

Comment

Im thinking the fractured piston. I do have another question regarding installing the new sbt, I see that sbt says to torque the pto to a certain spec how do you know what you torque it to when you install it with a chain wrench.

Comment

There is a tool made to install the pto coupler, you would use a torque wrench on this. SBT does sell the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by met828 View Post
                    Im thinking the fractured piston. I do have another question regarding installing the new sbt, I see that sbt says to torque the pto to a certain spec how do you know what you torque it to when you install it with a chain wrench.
                    Stand on it! LOL! 58 Ft. Lbs! gessh! :-P

Comment

Working...
                    X